Seeing knee surgeon outpatient, what to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I have a torn meniscus cartilage which I'm told is degenerative.  Had problemms with that knee for years (its a bit wonky) and the pain and swelling came on gradually.

Anyway, my turn has come to see the Orthopedic Surgeon and I'm a bit nervous and I just wonder if anybody can tell me what to expect at the appointment?

Since I was referred the swelling has stayed the same but the pain and feeling as though the knee will 'give way' has got a bit better.  The other issue is my opposite knee is starting to hurt a lot as well now, so I wonder if he will look at both knees. 

Any tips or suggestions on what to expect? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Depends how old you are usually.  I had two arthroscopies, clean ups and trimmings of cartilage before they suggested replacement., they like to hang it out for as long as possible.  MRI scan, if you haven't had one, maybe injections.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I'm 28.  Already had an MRI through my GP, the GP didn't want to do injections so referred me for the appointment. 

What did the arthroscopies involve and how was the recovery period?

I dread the idea of another surgery as I've already had a few for unreleated issues. 

• Posted

It is day surgery, general anaesthetic usually and they trim cartilages.  Able to get all in about two weeks, depends how fit you are.  They are sometimes a bit pointless as they are putting off the inevitable.  You have your age on your side for other cures to be found,   Knee replacement is a very severe operation and recovery, as you can see from the posters.   Not for the faint hearted.   Put it off for as long as you an. 
  • Posted

If they decide to fix it, more than likely it will be done with a scope. It will be Clea Ed up and initially rested, then physical therapy for awhile and should be good as new or even stronger. Pretty straight forward operation now days with a minimum healing time cpared to a few years back. Like all joint surgeries, don't try to eat the elephant all in one bite. Take it slow and steady and you'll be fine
  • Posted

If they decide to fix it, more than likely it will be done with a scope. It will be Clea Ed up and initially rested, then physical therapy for awhile and should be good as new or even stronger. Pretty straight forward operation now days with a minimum healing time cpared to a few years back. Like all joint surgeries, don't try to eat the elephant all in one bite. Take it slow and steady and you'll be fine. My sister in law had hers scoped last year at age 75 and was only slowed down 3-4 weeks then all pain was gone and she is very active since.
    • Posted

that sounds hopeful. 

I'm a little concerned about what the examination will involve.  I'm also a bit overweight (but less so than I used to be)  - I know excess weight is bad for the joints so I hope I don't get a lecture on that.  If I could lose more weight  I would.

• Posted

I would suggest you try and lighten your own level of anxiety and let thongs develop and let things happen. You will need a current MRI for soft tissue and xrays for bone. The ortho and radiologist will need to review these tests and then make decisions. Just try and take the approach that you are going to let the game come to you instead of anticipating the worst before it happens. As hard as it is, try to dins a diversion during this period. I know from experience as I am waiting for an 8 week antibiotic treatment for a staph to end (just finished 6) then have to have a new prosthesis inserted That will be 11 surgeries on the leg. Stay with this forum and you'll get lots of GOOD help as we've all been through the mill.
  • Posted

Hi Guy, I have had knee problems for years. I have a vascular necrosis and osteoarthritis. 18 months ago I had an MRI which showed a torn meniscus. I had it repaired via arthroscopic surgery. I never really healed completely as far as getting the swelling to go away. After 6 months I was in a lot of pain again. Doc said I had to wait 12 months after my surgery to do another MRI which was done and showed I was bone on bone on one side of the knee. He did steroid injections which did not help. Then he gave me a series of Synvisc injections which is basically chicken fat to lubricate the joint. These were extremely painful and again did not help. 4 weeks ago I had a TKR of my right knee. Expect your doc to do x-rays (suggest stress x-rays as well). Then if he doesn't see what he expects he should do an MRI, these should be done every 6th months or so as our joints can deteriorate rapidly. To repair your meniscus expect it you be repaired with a scope. 2 incisions, one on each side of the knee. One is for the camera the other for the instruments. He should repair the meniscus, snip any bad cartilage and clean out any arthritis if there is any. You are young so I wouldn't expect any but you never kniw. It is a one day surgery with a 4 week recovery usually. You will do outpatient physical therapy to strengthen the knee and help reduce swelling. Don't be eager to have a total replacement, that is a last resort and the healing time is very lengthy! I wish you luck! Keep us posted.
  • Posted

My appointment did not go as expected.   What I thought was a minor miniscus tear is actually a symptom of a bigger problem.  

Apparently my knee joint isn't in TOO bad a shape; it isn't bone on bone or anything. However  I am quite badly knock-knee on both legs. 

They recommended knee osteotomy and arthroscopy on one leg.  Then the same procedure on the other leg at a later date. 

They said I need to do this to avoid further disability and ending up with a total knee replacement at a very young age. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.