Seeing patial arc near outside of eye (ear side).

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi! I had surgery on Friday at UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute, the Femtosecond laser was used combined with astigmatism correction. Left eye was done for close-up vision. Couple of weeks ago, had the right one done for distance and it turned out excellent (monovision). Now, I can see a partial arc moving out of my lower left eye on the ear side. I'm left eye dominant. Very disturbing because it's also commingled with numerous, pre-existing floaters. Was told t looked fine and it's impossible for me to be seeing the edge of the implant, it may go away. If my brain fails to neuro adapt, it won't go away. Follow up visit was performed by a fellow, not the surgeon. Wondering if he could've missed a decentralized IOL or it's just light bouncing around the wrong way? I was told to wait and see if it resolves. I

also see much more of the edge of my upper eyelid. Weird and ugh. Anyone else having these issues and or failure of resolution?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had about the same results. They said i had dry eyes use lots of drops. It may have helped a little.
  • Posted

Its very soon after surgery, a lot of these type issues get resolved after a few months.

What is your pupil size, is it still a bit dilated from after the surgery?

• Posted

Your symptom of seeing a partial arc is actually common, specially if one uses 5mm IOL with square edges. The square edges are helpful in reducing the incidence of PCO, but unfortunately are more apt to cause symptoms like yours, usually due to the reflection of light at the edge of the lens.

In Medical terms, you probably have dysphotopsia, which is used to "describe a variety of visual symptoms that result from light reflecting off the intraocular lens (IOL) onto the retina.  Dysphotopsias are generally divided into two categories: positive and negative. Positive visual changes involve symptoms of bright artifacts, while negative dysphotopsias are perceived as shadows or dark areas in the visual field.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm actually aware of that, but unconvinced yet it's a negative dysphotopsia. The IOL is 6mm, unsure of the edge shape. Wondering why the right eye is so good, but the left one has this issue. Same lens in both eyes, different diopters of course.

• Posted

I have an appointment at Jules Stein in a few weeks. 

Did Rex Hamilton do the surgery himself or did a resident do it?

Dr. Hamilton is a proponent of Symfony, why didn't you opt for Symfony?

• Posted

No, I would never let a resident do my surgery. Because of prior LASIK surgery, I was not a candidate for the Symfony lenses.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I was told to ask thag question to Dr. Hamilton at the appointment on whether resident will do the surgery or not. They said we are a teaching hospital. 

Could they not use the ORA if you wanted to use Symfony post-LASIK?  I know they have the ORA. 

• Posted

Teaching hospital or not, you always have the right to specify who will perform surgery. I requested a letter documenting only the attending surgeon would be doing the procedure, but fellows and residents may watch. ORA, or not, I was stridently warned away from Symfony.
    • Posted

Did they use ORA?

And did they use lensX or catalys?

• Posted

I saw edge of implant and some strange refractive glares until the dilation wore off.  A good 24 hours. Then those went away.
  • Posted

This is an update to my first post about one month ago.

I barely see the arc in my left eye anymore, but the newly clarified, pre-existing floaters are about to drive me nutso. In addition to those, I now have an intermittent twitch going on in the corner of my eye closest to my ear. That's also about to drive me over the edge. Ugh! Has anyone else had problems with eye twitches after cataract surgery?

• Posted

Yes right eye can twitch when over stressed or tired.  Try to use less computer, more natural lighting.  Helped me. It comes and goes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.