Seeing psychiatrist/psychologist after 2+ years of depression. What to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.


After 2+ years of downward spiraling into what feels like a major depression, i have reached a point of no return. So i will see a psychologist/psychiatrist for a talk. As i suspect i have Autism as well.

I was put on Cymbalta for 6+ monts years ago for major depression and it helped me - but as soon as i stopped the depression came back.

I have tried diet, meditation, yoga and generelly trying to live a healthy lifestone - with little or no luck.

I know the horrible side-effects of Cymbalta withdrawals and im afraid my psychiatrist will descrive me antidepressants again. But im so low now that i see it as my only way out.

Although im afraid of permanent damage of my brain and body of antidepressants (hearing how bad big pharma is and antidepressants). Any positive experiences of healing a major depression with antidepressants?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    the treatment you receive is different depending on whether it is a psychiatrist or psychologist.  a psychiatrist  will generally deal with medication - they are brain chemistry experts, a psychologist may deal with talking therapies more.  As you are on medication, its a better idea to look at talking therapies, being on meds indefinatley leads to what you describe - the problems are still there and you cant be on them forever, nor should you be
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    And you cant heal depression with meds - thats not what they are for, they are there to help while you resolve the issues which caused it
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have recently been diagnosed with major depressive disorder after a serious suicide attempt. I have felt like this on and off for over 30 years and have been treated with a variety of medications. None seemed to work particularly well and as soon as I came off them I slipped back down again and struggled along for a few years until the next crisis.

    I have been on venlafaxine for two years with little sign of improvement. After my attempt they have doubled the dose and I do now think I can feel a bit of an improvement. I think medications can help but you may need to try a few until you find the right one for you. I also think they should be used in conjunction with talking therapy. Ideally you would see a psychiatrist to help you with medication (they're the gods of meds) and a psychologist for talking therapy to help you get to the bottom of why you feel like this and therefore how to change your thought processes...

    Good luck

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Psychiatrist and Psycologist are very different. And there are even different types of psycologist! I guess it will depend on your condition and where in the world you are? If in the U.K., you might initially be referred to a psychiatrist, but then referred for treatment with a psychologist.

    I personally (not medically qualified) don't think that ADs are the answer, however, they do provide a potentially short term solution to help address problems.

    Either way, who ever you see and if you are given meds, it has to be right for you. No-one should tell you what is right and wrong.

    Good luck

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up