Seeing Things When I close my eyes ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

One or twice a fortnight when I want to go to sleep, I see shapes when I close my eyes. Its been happening for about ten years and I still have no I idea what it is.

When I close my eyes I don't just see shapes. Its black figures, like spiders and evil things (that I have phobias of) and they move around the space. Sometimes I see branches of dead trees etc. Peoe don't seem to believe me though.

Its really stressful because I am sometimes afraid of closing my eyes.

This used to be so much worse but its gotten less frequent now.

Thanks for any help you are willing to give me

-Danielle xx

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Check Wikipedia for Charles Bonnet Syndrome / Visual Release Hallucinations.

"Sufferers, who are mentally healthy people with often significant vision loss, have vivid, complex recurrent visual hallucinations (fictive visual percepts).

Wiki also refers to a phamplet on the subject : It is annoying, but no disaster !.

• Posted

Yes but according to that article it shouldn't last for years, but more or less 18 months.

• Edited

Hi Danidin

I am spaced out if I see a spider. What you are saying is very similair to what is happening to me but I am too afraid to say. If I look at the curtains in the bedroom when I go to bed I see faces then look  on the ceiling and walls spiders and other  things moving very quickly towards me . I have jumped out of bed alarmed., not very pleasant. Please keep in touch swap ideas.

• Posted

Look up "Charles Bonnet Syndrome" in Wikipedia.
  • Edited

Hey thanks Allen,

Ive had the same for a long time, but just put it down to...dont know really but always to scared to say anything lol. My eyes are bad though, i were glasses and have needed to for a long time but didnt. Reading allens comment and taking a look, i now know why it is. 

• Edited

Hi ALL

It`s good we can share problems with each other.

I hate spiders what ever size. I open my eyes during the nite because I cannot sleep and these things go across the ceiling and down the wall I leap out of bed.

I see figures and shapes on bedroom curtains some disturbing.

Even my closest friends dont know.

• Edited

I agree - sometimes things are best kept to your self, you dont want your friends thinking your bonkers lol! I have never said anything-for that reason! This place is good though, a good place to share with people of the same understanding. 

I take it your visions not that good either!

It hurts though to know people like yourself have so much trouble with things like this thought, cos i admit as you will too ..it can be more than very disturbing.

Also, the one thing that allways comes out in the visuals - is the things you dont like & are afraid of. I dont know why this is, but im going to find out, becuase when you understand something ..it helps to deal with it. 

• Edited

Hi there, first time I'm researching this for my boyfriend, it doesn't happen often but when it does, it's horrible for both him and me. I don't understand what he's going threw or what to do to help him. Jus as he goes to sleep, he is jolting, mumbling, his eyes open, he looks out the drapes an windows, under the blankets, yells out "ouch" he punches the blankets, keeps looking around. I try an tell him it's ok an he is safe, and he isn't in a dream, he tries explaining to me what he see's, how "they" (snakes, lizards etc) are biting chunks out of him, how painful it is, how evil they r etc. I don't no what to do, he has gone to therapist he says in the past and it hasn't helped , any suggestions pls would b appreciated, thank u

• Edited

Zena -- Have you looked up "Charles Bonnet Syndrome" in Wikipedia as I suggested above ? . If that is the problem (a damaged retina), then it is all just a nuisance, but see an neurological opthalmologist about it. . It is not very likely to be an indication that he is losing his grasp.
  • Posted

OMG  I DO THE SAME THING... I tried googling the same thing and came across your post because the same exact thing happens to me. I discovered it barely 2 years ago and i see very similar things; mostly bees, spiders, bugs, very creepy things, scares me every time. I have to be relaxed and have a reason to squint my eyes alllmostt shut. And the images are moving, and a hazy black and white. I have no idea why this happens either but I desperately wish for you to respond or at least read this because its a bit relieving to know that I'm not alone, and I hope you will feel the same. Pretty crazy stuff. smile -Emily Smith

• Edited

I’ve had the same problem since I was around five years old. I would see scary distorted face or just animals I used to be scarier of. It’s been 20 years now and they haven’t stopped. I have just learned to live with them but I am still curious about why this happens. The past year or two has been incredibly scary with me seeing not only the distorted faces but the dead bodies of the ones I love. I should really see what it’s about that’s the reason I came on here. Is that normal? 
  • Posted

I've been going through this since I was 25...I'm now 63! It started after I lost my first baby traumatically. I also had a very scary ordeal with a big spider when I was only 3. I think it has a lot to do with both fears and trauma, as well as effect of antidepressants . After I lost that baby I suffered of severe depression for 20 years, coming and going. During the 10th year I only started going to a doctor about it. They started treating me. It was then that it became really severe. Evil faces, stories, and spiders spiders spiders. Also, I know that when you have a fear you ATTRACT it! But I do think, being a Christian, that evil also plays a role here. Satan knows exactly what we are afraid of and can torment us with those fears. I put my light on immediately and speak to those things aloud and use the Name of Christ to chase them out. I pray out loud and praise Jesus for His protection and Love and that He is my Saviour. They disappear immediately. Yes of course it can be physically too, so definitely ask a doctor. I also read this:

Closed-eye hallucinations are related to a scientific process called phosphenes. These occur as a result of the constant activity between neurons in the brain and your vision. Even when your eyes are closed, you can experience phosphenes

I don't know I anyone will read this, I only found this forum now.

Warm wishes

Ilse Burger

South Africa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.