Seeking advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 23 year old male who has been suffering with an unknown abdominal issue since a bout of food poisoning last September.

Daily I am bloated after every meal regardless of fibre content ( have tried various diets). I am also nauseous and fatigued and very gassy. Also once I eat, food immediately attempts to come back up and just feels as though it is not digesting. Stool consistency changes regularly, it is quite common for it appear constpiated although never diarrhoea. I thought this likely due to not drinking enough water at work. There is also frequent pain in the abdomen.

The first doctor suggested IBS, although my symptoms are not sporadic and have gradually increased in severity over time. I have also tried general ibs tablets which had no use.

The second doctor noted the reflux and prescribed me acid reflux as at the time I had pain in the lower stomach. I have has stool and blood samples taken and given the all clear.

At this moment in time i have lost 1.5 stone. It feels as though my body is constantly dehydrated no matter how much water i intake. I regularly go to the gym and my body feels as though it is not recovering with no lactic acid build up as normal.

Overall I my diet is very good, I only drink around once a month and have stopped taking protein shakes which i thought had influenced it.

Any thoughts on what this is or advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You could have post infectious IBS after the food poisoning.  It is not always sporadic ; it can be constant.  My IBS was constant and then became sporadic.  Ask for a different antispasmodic.  The first one tried doesn’t always work.  There are many your doctor could try.
    • Posted

Hi , I've tried many of these, none seemed to work. Even then, this would just be a short term fix and not target any underlying cause.

Thanks for the response.

• Posted

A short term fix is better than nothing because you may never find the underlying cause.  All you can do is treat the individual symptoms. Looking for a cause can trigger unnecessary stress which in turn can cause flare ups.  I treat my symptoms when they flare up and try to stay as stress free as possible.  This works for me.
    • Posted

My doctor diagnosed my IBS as stress related and I have  accepted this because I was very anxious and stress six months prior to my symptoms appearing.  I have always been anxious and an accumulation of stress over a period of years can trigger IBS because the nerves in the gut are very sensitive.    The gut brain axis is very strong and plays a large part in IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.