Seeking gabapentin advice

Posted , 1 user is following.

My doctor decided to try me on 300 mg of gabapentin at night, and I ended up going down to 100 mg because I'm very sensitive to side effects and starting and stopping medications.

I've been three weeks on 100 mg of gabapentin now and I'm noticing what I assume are side effects. I'm sweating a lot, much like I did when on desipramine. I am frequently urinating and, thank God for the anonymity of the Internet, my bowel movements have a strong smell of sulphur. There is nothing nutritional that should be causing any of this. Has anyone had these side effects?

I hadn't tried anything for neuropathic pain before and my doctor thought it was worth a shot. The pain is due to tendon damage in my arms and muscular problems in my upper body, but, with this type of chronic pain, part of it is neurological at this point. I'm going on eight years in constant pain. I've had chronic major treatment resistant depressionfor the past 20 years.

I also take Effexor and Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety, codeine for chronic pain, temazepam for insomnia and inability to sleep through pain, and medical marijuana when needed.

I'm reluctant to stay on the medication with these side effects and not having any result to show for it yet. I know it will probably take another month to really see if there are any positive results. I also have a history of eating disorder and a huge fear of weight gain, and I know gabapentin can cause fluid retention and slow metabolism. That's a big fear.

I'm interested in any opinions, if anyone has tried it for similar reasons, if you think it's worth continuing, side effects etc. Obviously, I'll have a full discussion with my psychiatrist before I make any medication changes.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.