Seeking general advise on RA.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all 

Can anyone shed some light on a mystry. 

Undoubtably I do have an Autoimmune condition, which I suspect began following successful cancer treatment in 2014.  But have been suffering significantly since October last year, being the sudden onset of symptoms which knocked me off my feet. 

The issue still carries on today, but is less severe then it was back in October however more noticeably is the pains in the joints as well as this pesky fatigue that never goes away. 

Having rulled out the majority of causes, discovering that I have a raised LDH inflammation marker my GP was suspecting something along the lines of a chronic fatigue related issue.   Then later I developed a face rash and he changed his opinion towards Lupus. later I was tested by the GP which was negative yet he still suspects Lupus. At present we're waiting for a referal.

Putting aside the huge list of symptoms which do closely match Lupus. except for the hairloss and mouth ulcers (at present) 

I do not have any family medical history of Lupus but there is a lot of RA which runs in the family.  Im now starting to think its could be that but cannot explain the face rash.

The rash is identical to the Malar/butterfly rash associated with Lupus. but I am trying to find out if you can still get a similar rash with RA?

its been over 4 months and no treatment.  it feels as though my joints in my Knees and Hands are getting worst by the day and even trying to open the coffee jar has become an issue.  

Secondly to the face rash question.  Can anyone also advise me if the medication that the doctors put you on will help with overall mobility improvements.  

Sorry to plurb

regards

Andy 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thinking about it... Could I also ask about an early symptom. 

Just focusing on the legs. 

When the flare started the first 6-7 weeks my muscles in particular both my legs felt like a burning scorching pain.  The pain was severe that I didnt notice any joint pain until the burning sensation started to disapate. with it came the knee joint pain (both sides), walking became difficult with slow movement and difficulty climbing the stairs.

Today the muscle pain is a dull ache most of the time, with an occasional burn but not scorching.  The knees however hurt all the time, I wobble a lot and it feels that my knees cannot often support the weight. 

Is that also typical of an RA flare?

many thanks

Andy

• Posted

i had rosacea ( reddening across cheeks) diagnosed 6 months before joint problems began. I asked my gp if it could be lupus , so he ran some blood tests which showed I needed to be referred to a rheumatologist and was diagnosed with RA. Actually the rosacea disappeared as I used RA meds.

Make of that what you will !! I can't explain it except  I think auto immune responses must be linked!

I think all my blood tests were positive although you can be sero negative With RA diagnosis. Hopefully your referral to a rheumatologist will unpick your symptoms.

Just to keep you positive , 2 years later  I am doing really well on a cocktail of meds- almost no joint pain from being hardly able to move around or do stuff for myself, although it did take about 9 months to find what works for me and I have to pace myself.

Hope you get some answers soon, and a plan to move forward.

• Posted

Hi and thank you Rowbirdie. 

my rash didnt appear until late in the day, begining of January and just when the muscle burning started to calm down.  I know there's a connection it wasnt until the muscle burning calmed that I started noticing the joint pains, prior to that I thought it was just the muscles now the muscles are a dull ache the joint pain is more noticeable. 

I also thought of Rosacea, but dissmissed it as mine covers both cheecks and nose.  The images I've seen of Rosacea also covers the chin and forehead. was this the same with you?

I'm really pleased and thank you for your comment on joint pain.  It's one of my concerns losing the effective use of your hands especially as I intend to use them in a forwarding career.  which I've been working towards long before this happened.  

I think deep down I'm also a little gutted that this is happening. 

I really appreciate your response. 

• Posted

My rosacea was mild- just across cheeks and a bit on forehead so not typical butterfly shape of lupus.

Yes it is gutting - esp in early stages of diagnosis when you just don't know what it will all involve. 

Everyone is different, so don't assume the worst.

keep us updated .

• Posted

Thanks Rowbirdie.

Maybe I shouldn't dismiss Rosacea after all then.

I will definitely keep you updated.

• Posted

Who knows. No one else in my family has RA, but my dad had ulcerative colitis, and that is an auto immune disease, and they are all related in some way, for me , I'm sero-negative, so they are closely related, but I have no bowel issues at all.

The body is so weird.

Good Luck. I hope you get answers. And most of all, relief.

• Posted

Thank you Barabara

Been reading a great deal online and there are arguments both for and against that RA is herridatory. but most seem to agree if you have a family history of any Auto immune disease then that is supposed to increase the chances.  

Yes the body is a strange thing.

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.