Seeking Guidance from those with Experience - Sudden Dermatitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,

So about 1.5 months ago now I broke out with Eczema all over the front of my right leg and foot and no where else. I've never had it before so I didn't know what it was.  I went to a dermatologist after many sleepless nights (sooo itchy!) and was prescribed a 2 week course of prednisone and a topical steroid (clobetasol) and diagnosed with detmatitis. While i was on prednisone, life was great minus the other side effects. The eczema was clearing (except on my foot oddly enough), I was no longer itchy, etc. But then prednisone ended and it all came back.  Since then, i've managed to clear most of it in about 4 days of clobetasol use but i stopped the clobestasol a couple days ago and it seems to be coming back... again.  I'm afraid of long term use of TS because i've read horror stories about the withdrawals. I have no allergies that I'm aware of (scheduled appt with allergist for end of month) but have cut out gluten and dairy just in case. It's not NEARLY as bad as it was before I went to the dermatologist but i'm just really puzzled about this. There is literally NO TRACE of eczema anywhere else on my body (knock on wood) that i can find. Not even on the back of this same leg. 

Looking for advice. I know topical steroids are only a mask / temporary solution. I know i can't be on prednisone, nor do i want to, for any long term. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience, has any thoughts on what this could be, or even any recommendations on home remedies that have worked to clear you.  Thanks in advance for your guidance and experiences!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Your suspicions about steroids are probably justified, as these drugs are more frequently being blamed for Red Skin Syndrome nowadays. I believe that they act as an artificial blocker of inflammation as opposed to a medication that would combat the actual cause of inflammation in dermatitis.

And what is the cause of the inflammation in dermatitis? According to new research, scientists now believe that the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus could be the main culprit. Just type up "Eczema and Staphylococcus Aureus" in your seach engine to read more about this recent discovery.

How do you combat Staphylococcus Aureus? Well, you could ask your doctor/dermatologist for a course of man-made antibiotics and might have some success. The problem with the strains of Staph involved with dermatitis is that they are often resistant to these man-made antibiotics. So you might want to look in nature, for something perhaps more potent:

Type up Aloe Vera, Turmeric, Calendula, or St. John's Wort with Staphylococcus Aureus in your search engine, and do your own diligence as to which of those might suit you best. There are many other natural products that may also help combat Staph on your skin, so you might want to dig even deeper and consider others.

Personnally, I have cured my 20 year condition of Eczema with St. John's Wort and have now been disease-free for 4 years. If you want to read more about my success story, it's all documented in the Alternative and Complementary medicine section of this forum. But my success story does not guarantee everyone else will experience comparable results. We all have different bodies, various versions of similar diseases, and we react differently to medication. Therefore, you will likely have to experiment to a certain extent in hope of finding a cure in your particular case.

Best of luck,

Greg.

• Posted

Yes, same here when I stopped the prednisone it came back but it does work I stopped the creams but how did you manage to clear it all and what will a allergist do for you
  • Posted

Hello Jen! Although I am only 19 I've had chronic atopic exzema ever since I can remember, and every day is a battle. But I agree, never overuse steroid creams because they have caused me to have red skin syndrome all over my face, neck and back.

Instead there are lots of methods I use when my eczema starts playing up or flaring up, I have found that ice packs are brilliant, even if the cool sensation they give you only lasts a little while, they have lots of benefits. Inflamed areas will always feel hot and itchy, the ice pack cools the skin but also helps stop the itching because that patch of skin feels cool and masks the itchy feeling. I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.