Seen consultant today.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I mentioned I was going to see him. He had been very ignorant and uncooperative before. Heeding the advice of Ann 83411 and others{apologies for not naming you as i forgot} on this forum I took a list with me. Pen and noteboojk inm hand. I also wore a suit and tie. I never dress scruffily at the hospital but this time i made an effort. He answered my questions readily,asked some of his own. My knee is titanium and another material,I think he said chrome,and plastic. The clicking he dsaid was quite normal,may last permanently. Said he couldnt get the xrays up in that office but that he had seen them and if anything wrong he would have told me. To be fair he couldnt have been more helpful. The thing is,from his first appearance i could tell he was going to be reasonable. And on the other occasions quite the opposite. I guess we are all human. I was ready for battle today but it was not necessary. But thanks to all on this forum for your help and advice. You are all great and also I wish good outcomes for everybody eventually.

John.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Makes you feel better just knowing you can fight the system.

When I had my last go around with staph and had to go through the removal of the prosthesis etc, my oldest son who is a very bright corporate exec sat down with the surgeon and went through my entire situation. The surgeon has since told me he hadn't had as many straight foreward qestion regarding infections, treatmens, prognosis since he had to sit for his state board certification. My son is probably 15 yrs older than the Dr. and has a couple of science degrees. The story I got later from the dr, it was very professional and pertinent.....no fluff....and The Dr really appreciated the opportunity to discuss. One of my sons concerns, my age, 78 at the time, and the surgeries I had undergone, 10 on the leg plus 4 others ( in 2010) for various reasons and my sons concern how much more an old system was going to be able to handle.

I feel that your approach of going and acting professionally is the key. Even though underneath you may have wanted to choke the arrogant b*****d.

• Posted

Oldfatguy 1.

Thanks for that. Sounds like your son is a pretty clued up guy,as are you. You are certainly a bonus to the forum. Yes,I wanted to choke him before,but glad I didnt!!

• Posted

Hi John, I'm really pleased it went well for you, and all your concerns and questions were addressed and answered.

We get ourselves all geared up for battle, and then end up not needing the adrenaline we've managed to work up!

Hopefully it's onward and upwards for you now with the rest of your recovery, good luck with it all.

• Posted

Your clicking will go.  The more work you do on your muscles, the more stable the joint and the less your joint will click. Even when you are just sitting, exercise those muscles. Trust me it will go, but you have to work at it
    • Posted

Thanks Sueisobel. Must remember to do more exercises. Im certainly doing more in the water. Just got back from the gym. 

John.

• Posted

Go for it. It is such a horrible sensation; click,click,click, but if you work at your muscle, specially if you are lying in bed, keep your leg straight, tighten leg muscles and try and lift your foot off the surface and hold  for as long as possible. If you concentrate on your leg at every possibility. Eventually you will notice a huge difference (this one of the few things I have been successful with) avoid anything that twists or has a sideways pushing effect until your leg is strong enough
    • Posted

Thanks sueisobel. Ive been doing that but only holding for 5 secs. Will try as long as possible.
    • Posted

5 seconds is a long time when you are in pain.  Do it in stages.  There is no rush; the slower you go, the further you go with your rehab. Do every exercise with deliberate movements, make everything work (then you can do away with weights for a little longer). Think of old style calisthenics, be more tortoise than hare. You will be surprised.
  • Posted

well done john . its amazing when you got yourself armed with the questions you had on your mind written down, before you meet the consultant .you felt confident and it showed consultants can have a bad day as you said . but sometimes they just dont want to answer questions! ,so when you arrive well dressed and ready for a battle i think they smell it !!!  i remember your post john clicking can last awhile for me after the revision i had a clicking for the first few weeks .and still now and again i have it ,its more annoying than anything  but i just ignore it 
    • Posted

Thanks Irish Linda for everything. Had to laugh when you say they can smell it!! It certaiinly seemed that way. Will have to follow Sueisobels advice about the clicking,but if thats the worst I have to put up with I will indeed ignore it

John.

• Posted

Hi John

was out only seeing your message now!

Clothes maketh the man John, power dressing works wonders I know that well from what was my line of work.

All sounds good and positive John are you pleased yourself?

I'm delighted for you.

Pain getting better now (apart from the click!) for you too?

I went back for checkup last Tuesday and was discharged.

We seemed both to have had very similar journeys through hell and now I think back!  We didnt have any major problems like some here, for which I will be eternally greatful, but it did seem endless at times.

Dont know what I would have done without all here.

Best wishes John

Ann

The Irish One

• Posted

Hi Ann

Thanks for the lovely message. Yes,been a long journey for us both and others. Hopefully the worst is over. Yes,Im pleased,especially after today. I only wish it was the same for everyone,as you suggest. And also as you say everyone here is great. My pain is very low really,mainly feel it on waking or if i sit too long. I still have a habit of nodding in the chair. And I never feel pain with the click,which is a blessing.

Thanks

John.

• Posted

Glad to hear that it went well, John.

I think that they re ignite that we mean business when we go prepared ;-)

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Patsyrose

Yes its a bit strange that. Thanks for your good wishes

John.

• Posted

Obviously my comment should have said 'realise' not 're ignite'...good old iPad ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.