Seizures

Posted , 5 users are following.

So for the past year and a half, I've had on and off seizures. Of course I was too embarrassed to mention it to anyone and tried to keep it to myself in case I was labelled as an "attention seeker". That all changed when I had a seizure at work, in front of all my colleagues. How embarrassing! The weird thing is, I used to remember my seizures and now I don't.

Anyway I went to the doctor and I was referred to a neurologist...of course after being put on a waiting list for 6 months. Another six months later, I had an EEG which came back clear. I had numerous blood tests and they also came back clear. This is was what I was afraid of. This is why I keep things to myself because it seems like every test I do just comes back clear and I'm left to suffer. And I'm left to look like a right idiot. At my local GP surgery I'm now labelled as that "girl who likes attention seeking".

I was diagnosed with Non epileptic disorder and placed on an 8 month waiting list for CBT.

A year and a half later, my symptoms have gotten worse. I've been riddled with severe migraines and my seizures aren't going away either. I have now had this wretched headache for a month now and it's just getting worse. Sometimes I vomit and collapse because of how bad it is. Sometimes they even trigger seizures.

Recently, I collapsed at home twice and all my family can do is laugh and call me a faker. Thanks for the support. I did recover 30 minutes after it happened. In those 30 minutes, my body was completely paralysed and I couldn't move. It's like somebody threw a ton of bricks all over me then removed them.

I collapsed at work again and I don't know if I had a seizure or not because I don't remember having seizures. Anyway, the boss is quite confused as to why it's taking this long to sort these "seizures" out. I'm afraid that one day, it's gonna cost me my job because I'm too sick to work or that I'm a liability to the company and its reputation.

And right now my headaches haven't gone away. I've noticed a weird lump on my head and I can't stop hallucinating. I don't know what else to do when people don't take me seriously anymore. This condition has ruined my life.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Dear Josiej8,

I feel for you for I too have read the book, saw the movie and am wearing the t-shirt. I have had all the tests, been put  on anti-seizure drugs, in hospital, seizure clinic and label NEAD and at the end of the day we all have a life to live. It is apart of us, many of us around this beautiful blue gem we call home. Only Almighty God knows the true reason we are all suffering. I fear having a seizure in front of my co workers. I have told some that I have seizures. I have had these seizures in public. I get a warning of pulsing lime green clouds shapes before a seizures but sometimes nothing, just happens suddenly. I also can not move or speak during one. I tonic and than clonic. Nasty things. My are painful. I get headaches too. I too am not a attention seeker. I sought out medical help to no end. I deal with these seizure now and than get on with my life. My doctor only likes to deal with my medical problems that she can give me a pill for, tests and results etc...I care. I'm still turning the pages in my book too. 

• Edited

Thank you Hun! I'm glad I'm not alone with this one.

With mine I get no warnings at all. I just drop to the ground and it happens. Unfortunately I can't afford to be having seizures in front of customers and at work, it's bad for the business and the reputation of the company I work for.

I agree. I just feel God is punishing me for something and I don't know what. Or it's just being a Christian. You have to suffer one way or another. Nothing is ever handed to you. You have to work and fail then turn into dust after you pass. Guess that's life.

The only miricle is for down thing drastic to happen to me, such as an accident or something, that way people would want to help you rather than look upon you as an attention seeker.

You can't help the seizures and I'm sorry that it's happened to you too. I guess we will never ever find out what's causing them and just have to learn how to live with them. This might mean that I lose my job because of it and that's what I'm afraid of.

Hope you're well and thank you

• Posted

Dear Josiej8,

Almight  God is not punishing us. I am a Jehovah's Witness and have study the Bible for years and know that our heavenly father is loving and caring. I aslo fear a bad injury if I suddenly fall with a seizure. The doctors will treat the injury in the ER but will not deal with what causes the seizures. If I don't get enough sleep, I know I am more likely to have a seizure. Flashing lights, extrem pain, too much stress etc. Life happens and we do have one. I have been were you are now. People have heart attacks eveywhere, asthma attacks etc... I also have asthma attacks at work and I still have my job. I fear to have a seizure at work. I get a warning but not always. Keep talking with me because you need to. You are not alone, I'm here.

• Posted

Hey Mary

Thanks for the reply. Heart attacks can be cured. Asthma can be managed. People consider these conditions to be real. Then you have seizures and people are like, not another attention seeker! Plus they're conditions which you can treat because you know what's causing them.

Life would be so much easier if I just knew what was causing these seizures. You can't cure seizures and people can never know what causes them. I really do want them to be cured because I'm quite frankly sick of them! They have destroyed my life completely. I would love to have another job and get more income but who will hire someone with seizures?

Why is God letting this happen?

• Posted

Hi Josiej8 I have suffered with non epileptic attacks disorder and i'm 14 i understand that you where scared because people might call you attention seeking, but if you worry about things more the more your attacks will happen. I hope this was helpful.

• Posted

Hello Sophie

Thank you so much, it does help a little but I'm always on edge waiting for the next one to happen, they're very unpredictable

• Posted

They are very unpredictable, and life is hard with it happening. I can't imangion how it must feel to go to work and have a attack.  
    • Posted

Hi Sophie, it's very scary! One day I fear that I may lose my job because of it. Hope you're doing good too x
    • Posted

I hope you get well sokn and this will be over.

Very best Sophie x

• Posted

i'm carer for heather Morris and i know exactly what your dealing with. my wife gets same thing. she has been told by most doctors, paramedics and other first aiders she has epilepsy but a professor and neurologists says otherwise and keeps sending her to a psychologist. it does not do nothing for her and seizures still go on and have for 18 years and its impossible to get any medication. she is now awaiting a M R I scan to investigate her seizures. its got to the case i have to write to the press for help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.