Seizures with Chiari???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had seizures, specifically nocturnal seizures associated with Chiari?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I have them! I am now on Epilepsy medication. I am told by by the Neurologist department at UCSF that I don't have CHIARI Malformation 1 but Sutter North Disputes. The MRI from Sutter North shows I have CHIARI Malformation 1 with 6.8 tonsil herniation. The MRI was taken twice. Then at UCSF the MRI said o have a low underlying slope of the brain. I have siezures everyday and the most violent one I had lasted about 20 minutes. I was unable to walk for three days. I had speech problems, balance problems, and my memory was off. So now I continue to take Topomax and now I've been put on Epilepsy medication.

• Posted

Ask for second opinion or ask them to refer you to the neuro surgeon who know better, If I did not have blacked pout/seizure I would not bother to have decompress, but I was all the time and have no balance and pain like hell..but after surgery I am OK
    • Posted

I did go to a NEURO sergeon that specializes in CHIARI and he wanted to operate but my husband was not convinced. So we went to UCSF. I don't know what to believe. This is getting worse and no one is listening to me. Not even my husband! He rather I take drugs that could possibly do harm long term.

• Posted

Hi there,

I have it all the time and painful as well prior to surgery, but after the surgery I am fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.