Self assessments - I need help!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have a self assessment at work to do, I not sure if I can. Do I mention it to my boss, or ask a colleague to help. My boss is part of the problem, but don't know what to do. The assessment is part of the bonus, but I have no positive thoughts. I know I've struggled a lot the end of last year, with my work really poor. I need help in what to do?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Do you mean a health assesment or do you mean an assement as part of a yearly appraisal?
    • Posted

Oh I hate those. We get a questionear to fill out while the boss does the same one. Then in the appraseal we compare notes and discuss it. 

Just do an honest assement. I had a lot of time off last year so I put that down on mine, its not like the boss doesn't know anyway. Asides that if you feel you have done a good job just write that even if you don't expect him/her to agree. Thats all you can do. Besides how else is anyone going to know how great you are unless you point it out smile

• Posted

That is what we do, its so difficult,  I am so worried what she'll say, I can't take a bad review, I'm at breaking point as it is. That's the point I haven't done a good job, that's why I'm so scared. I just can't take people putting me down as Im good at that myself and don't need people to tell me what a bad job I'm doing I already know. I feel bad enough already. 
    • Posted

If I could I would not be at work, the doctor would have signed me off no problem, but my issues are at home and work, I have nowhere to go! So I'm at work stressing over this stupid assessment. If I was not a career I would have disappeared a longtime ago, but I love my parents and can't do that to them. Plus I can't be signed off as my parents don't know about this. 
  • Posted

hi...

you don't need to mention any health issues in your 1-2-1 appraisal unless you want to.

you always have the option of asking HR to sit in, if you feel your boss is adding to your issues or maybe speak to them in advance as to how best to address the issues with your boss. have examples of issues and suggestions as to how things could be better for you i.e. how they can motivate you, speak to you, address you etc. that way you're offering some solutions and not just issues/problems alone.

hope it goes ok x

• Posted

My boss, is the head of HR! I just don't know how to fill the assessment in,  I have negative thoughts and can't see what is good. My boss knows I have issues with my health, so has changed some of her ways, but I keep all the things she has said to heart, I don't forget them. The one word I hate, is disappointing, which was used on occasions. How do I do this, put as I feel, as I've said I am having problems working out if what I thinking is right or me taking it wrong. I just so confused!
    • Posted

ah ok, i see the difficulty.

there should be a guide or template that can assist with the form completion? is there anyway you can ask for instruction or someone else that has to do it that can help?

have you tried CBT to help with your thought process, it has helped me a bit but still early days. no harm in asking your GP to refer for it?

sorry things are tough right now.

• Posted

The doctor put me forward To see a councillor, hopeful that will help, maybe I should ask someone for help, my stupid mind!!! I'm confused about it all. Glad it's the end of the day, I can go to bed, not that'll I'll sleep, I'm getting angry with myself now. I'm so stupid and let down to everyone and myself.
  • Posted

What's the worst thing hay can happen to you if you cannot do this ? You may not get a bonus?but a least you have a job.. You are only seeing what's in front of you and that's the anxious thoughts and feelings try and stay strong and look for all of the year not just the end when you started to struggle everyone has or has had a boss that's a problem but that boss is only human just like everyone else
    • Posted

I know I'm only seeing anxious thoughts, I wish I didn't, I really try hard to see positive but can't. I know everyone has problems, that's why I feel like failure, I should be able to cope! 
  • Posted

Stop saying you are a failure... You are clearly not you have managed to keep down a stressful job and continue to go to work most people can't do that you need to stay strong and not focus on work do you have enjoy sport? Regular excercise can really calm the mind because it gives you a focus on something else and real eases feel good feelings if you don't like excercise try yoga that is excellent from relaxation there are also free apps available on the net for relaxation techniques...I think what I'm trying to say is do something you enjoy don't consume yourself with anxiety 
  • Posted

Here is a guide line for a self - evaluation, hope it might help you.

Writing a self-evaluation can be a difficult process for many employees. Despite knowing themselves and the work they have done better than anyone, employees can struggle to put it all down on a paper in a way that comes off as objective.

Be proud. The main aspect of the appraisal is to highlight accomplishments. You need to ensure that the work you are most proud of is highlighted in your self-evaluation. You need to point to specific tasks and projects that you best work on. When talking up those accomplishments, you should be sure to emphasize the impact each of those had on the business as a whole as a way to show how valuable your work is to the company.

Be concise. While you might be inclined to write about each step of the successful project or task, your best bet is to be concise. The work should stand on its own. This is the time to make sure the boss remembers that you did it.

Be honest. Honesty is another critical aspect of writing a self-review. More than likely, the boss knows better than anyone when a good job was done.

So trying to highlight a project or task you have done as just okay, rather than great, won't have much impact. In fact, it likely will show those in charge that you don't truly have a grasp on your own performance.

And what type of work qualifies as just okay

should be consider good or great.

Part of being honest also means pointing out some areas that could be improved. 

"You don’t want to say, 'Here's where I really fall down,'" "Instead, say 'Here's an area I want to work on. This is what I've learned. This is what I should do to go forward.'"

Also use your self-evaluations as a time to ask your boss for career development opportunities, even if the boss isn't asking you

"Because if you don’t ask, it's not going to happen," 

Be professional. Finally, you need to remember to always be professional when writing a self-assessment. This means not using it as an opportunity to bash the boss for poor leadership skills or co-workers for making life more difficult.

Bosses and manager who are honest with themselves are the first to recognize that there are times when they make mistakes, 

"Being diplomatic is your best course of defense,"Keep your personal opinions to yourself 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.