Self Catherization. An alternative to Turp, Greenlight, HoLEP...?

Posted , 82 users are following.

Since I posted a thread about self-catherization -- more formally called Clean Intermittent Catherization (CIC) -- there have been a few different discussions on the topic in various threads. I thought it might make sense to bring those discussions over to a dedicated thread. With that in mind, I will summarize and/or copy and paste some of what was said before into this thread for better continuity.

My story in a nutshell. 68 years old with BPH probably since my late 20’s. Watch n’Wait strategy with on-and-off trials of Tamsulosin (Flomax) with poor results.  Symptoms were the  normal retention issues resulting in frequent urination with incomplete emptying, urgency, and having to go to the bathroom at night in increasing frequencies. Near the end, two or three uti’s per year often accompanied by gross hematuria (bleeding).  

Two years ago things got significantly worse and I couldn’t urinate on my own without physically pushing against my bladder (Crede Maneuver). That led to another trip to the urologist where  ultrasound showed significant retention and hydronephrosis (water in the kidneys). I was told I needed an operation (this facility primarily did Turps) but first I had to rehabilitate my bladder because at the time  it was too flaccid (stretched) for a good surgical outcome. I was given the choice of wearing a Foley Catheter for six weeks, or a program of self-catherization (CIC) in order to decompress the bladder. I chose CIC so I didn’t have to wear a Foley 24/7, and also because I felt it put me more in control.

Six weeks later my bladder was rehabilitated to the extent they could do a Turp, and the hydronephrosis was gone. After doing some research and a lot of thinking I decided to put off the Turp due to the potential of irreversible side effects, primarily retrograde ejaculation. Two years later, I am still doing CIC while waiting for newer procedures with better outcomes and fewer side effects.

I will detail my experiences with CIC in following posts -- but to summarize, once mastered, it’s a painless five minute procedure that allows you to empty your bladder completely any time you want. With CIC, I therefore have no retention issues, no urgency, and in most cases sleep 6-8 hours through the night without having to get up and go to the bathroom. No UTI’s in over 18 months. And because my bladder has been partially rehabilitated, I can urinate normally about 50% of the time without using the Crede maneuver.  My IPSS Score (International Prostate Symptom Score) would be Zero (the best), albeit with a little mechanical assist. smile

As of now, nothing that I have read about the various current procedures has tempted me to have an operation. That could, or could not change, in the future, but the nice thing about CIC is that you can stop it any time you want with no repercussions. The caveat is that CIC should be done under the supervision of a doctor who will monitor your BPH as required. Similar to seeing a doctor on a regular basis during a Watch n’ Wait BPH strategy.

I know many of you here have already had operations like Turp, and in most cases people seem pleased with the outcomes. CIC certainly isn’t’ for everyone, and I can understand why someone does not want to carry around a urinary “tool box” with them. On the other hand, with practice, it’s not the traumatic and scary procedure some think. I can honestly say right now that for me it’s about as traumatic as brushing my teeth.

I’m offering my experiences and thoughts on CIC for any of those who haven’t yet made up their mind on an operation. It even can make sense for those of you who don’t need an operation yet, but want to increase their IPSS quality of life score. In fact, wish I had done CIC earlier while on Watchful Waiting. Didn’t realize how much BPH had been affecting me for most of my adult life until I was able to empty my bladder completely.

CIC doesn’t have to be a permanent solution, it could just part of a waiting strategy like I’m on, until better surgical operations are developed with better outcomes and fewer permanent side effects.

For any number of reasons, the majority of urologists don’t seem to offer CIC as an alternative to surgery. My current urologist doesn’t as far as I know, but he’s OK with what I’m doing because it works for me. So, either you have to find a urologist you can convince to go along, or go to some of the major teaching hospitals where CIC is probably more in use and better understood. That is where I was taught, albeit not very well, but that is another story.

Jim

19 likes, 2092 replies

2092 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Jim,

I found that when I insert a catheter, and it runs up against the sphincter at the end, if I spread my knees 18 inches (45 cm) apart and bend at the knees, and bend almost 90 degrees at the waist, and lower the catheter so I am pushing almost straight up, the catheter goes past the sphincter very easy. I use a speedicath 12 coude tip, which was usually difficult to get passed the sphincter.

I have also tried your tip about contracting the pelvic floor muscles to help get passed the prostate at the end, and found it useful.

Thomas

• Posted

If you hold the penis almost straight up until you hit the resistance point, and then hold it straight out towards the wall, the catheter enters much easier. Almost sounds like the same thing you're doing by bending at the waist. Of course I'm able to manipulate my penis with my left hand while spreading the opening with my fingers while I drop the catheter in with my right hand. I find the little glue fastener on the back of my Cure catheter (speedicath has these too) very useful to facilitate using one hand to insert the catheter. I can hang it on the wall or stall or whereever I am so that I can remove it from the sheath with one hand while holding my penis in the proper configuration to get it started.

• Posted

I also use this technique successfully using the SpeediCath straight FR 14 and have never had a problem in my first month of CICing.

FWIW, I also got some samples of the SpeediCath Compact which fits is your pocket and telescopes when you open it and found it VERY easy to use and is very discreet to carry while out and about. Only problem, they cost about $6 each. I plan on getting a supply even though Medicare will not cover these just for the convenience while out and about as well as travel.

Patrick

• Posted

You could also try stuffing a catheter down one leg of your Jean's, one end in your sock. works for me when going out for dinner which might include a couple if drinks.

• Posted

Tom,

Thanks for your reply and tip on carrying the catheter under jeans. I rarely wear long pants here in Florida but will make note of your suggestion for when I do.

Patrick

• Posted

Thomas,

Glad you're finding your way (pun intended) 😃

Jim

• Posted

When I don't have my back pack, I have used the sock carry. Lately, I've just been

folding up a catheter or two and carrying it in a coat or jacket pocket. Speedicath's

don't fold as well as others, so you do have to be a little careful that the coude tip

lines up, but really haven't found it to be much of a problem. If I haven't used those

catheters by end of day, I usually throw the bent ones away, but not sure that is

even necessary. That said, I would not recommend using bent Speedicath Coude's if you

are new to CIC. Can't see any problem bending a straight catheter.

Jim

• Posted

I only use Speedicaths 14fr coudes which do not bend easily. When I go anywhere for more than a few hours I place a few catheters in a mailing tube and then put the tube in a gym bag with a few support items like swabs etc. So people just think I am coming/going to the gym.

Last night we went to a movie and in the middle of the movie I had a "dump" and just went to bathroom in a stall. Took only 10 minutes total and I used the opportunity to buy another bag of popcorn!

• Posted

Yes, the movie can be long and it's cold, so I sometimes, have to go and self-cath. Iam getting pretty good, at using the stall, wiping my penis with a hand-wipe, hanging my pants, etc. My concern, is making sure my pants, clothes etc. stay clean, and not get soiled in those messy stalls. {men's restrooms, can be filthy} Yes, great chance to get more popcorn!

• Posted

Maybe I'll do an experiment to test the SpeediCath straight being bended...but it feels like it doesn't want to get bent in the packaging which keeps it firmly straight.

• Posted

Thanks Dennis - yes that is a worry. I carry a clean towel in my gym bag and lay everything out on the towel with my gym bag resting across the back of the toilet seat. I also have a second towel I put on the floor to stand on because those stalls are so dirty. I place all the towels in a plastic bag when done and put them in the washer when I get home. Have you considered any procedures? All the best to you and your wife.

• Posted

I had a TURP then some while later a stricture occured and had to have that cut back. After that self-cat for three weeks every three days and now once a week or fortnight. What I think is happening as I count the flow out and just after the stricture Op I was passing at about 18 - 20 mLtr/sec. Now some 10 weeks later I have noticed a drop in flow to about 12 - 15 mLtr/sec and worried the stricture is coming back. Still, in 5 months I have a flow test follow up. So I guess if it starts to close up I will need another Op. I am in the UK and am not sure how long that may go on until they do a Urethroplasty on me (cut the structure out completely which I understand is more reliable).

Any experiences there appreciated.

• Posted

Patrick and Howard,

I also cath mostly at night as opposed to during the day.

For one thing, one can sleep through the urge to void, resulting in larger bladder volumes. Larger bladder volumes can translate into the inability to void. Nocturia polyuria can also be a contributing factor where we produce more urine at night than we should. You can do a urine log and if you produce more than 40% of your urine at night, that's what you have. Quite common as we get older and there are a few things you can do to mediate the condition. Lastly, I find exercise helpful with natural voids and during the day we are moving around more.

Howard -- not unusual to have the 600-800 ml in the morning and no doubt just too much for your bladder to push through your enlarged prostate. You might want to look up "nocturia polyuria". There are certain things you can try for example limiting fluids before bed time, naps, compression stockings

or even the use of diuretics to promote more daytime urination. Or you may just want to live with it as I do. You could also set your alarm to wake you up in the middle of the night to void or cath if you're really agressive about bladder rehab but you have to weigh that against a good night's sleep.

Jim

• Posted

Good coaching Jim, thanks! I have no problem setting my alarm for 4 am to stay on my 4 hour schedule. I return to bed and sleep until my 8 am cath, getting close to 8 hours of sleep. Works for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.