Self catheter

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need to insert a catheter everyday about an inch to prevent reclosing of the tip of the penis because of scars does anyone knows the best way to insert it without to much pain they showed me how to do it but it's really scaring any idea thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are several online instructional videos.  but first make sure you get the best catheter.  I've found one that works for me: Magic3 Hydrophilic Intermittent Catheter w/ coude tip (size: 14French)

Good luck!

• Posted

Did they tell you to use lubricant? K Y Jelly is best. Avoid petroleum jellies such as Vaseline.
    • Posted

The numbing gel has lubricant and so they tell me

I will get some tks

• Posted

If you're using a regular catheter, your doctor should have supplied you with a lubricant and probably an antipseptic wipe for your meatus.

Use only that lubricant and never anything petroleum based like vaseline. "Slow and gentle" is the key, and with a little practice it should become easy and painless. It's also important to relax while you insert the catheter.

Most of us who here, like myself,  who use catheters insert them up to 14" without difficulty, so I would think that inserting them only inch should be even easier. In my case, I use the Colopast Hydrophilic Speedicath, which is pre lubricated so no extra lubricant is necessary. '

Some studies suggest Hyfdrophillic catheters cause less trauma, so you might ask your doctor if they are appropriate to your specific application.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.