SELF CATHETER

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI ITS CARL 15289 CAN ANY ONE HELP ME AS I HAVE ONLY USED THEM ONCE BE FOR

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What problem are you having? Are you following the instructions in the leaflet that comes with the catheters? I have been using these several times per day for the past ten years or so, without problems, so I'll try to help if I can.

• Posted

Leonard/Carl, I have been using an intermittent catheter for roughly four months. I know the suggested frequency is 4-6 times daily (every 4-6 hours). There are times that 8 hours pass (no urge, mind busy with other things). I'm curious to know how regular both of you are (using the catheter).

Also, do you track the amount of your discharge? I range between 150 - 700 cc's (normally 200 - 500 cc's). Curious to know if that seems comparable with your experience.

• Posted

Michael - I think my frequency is much the same as yours. I don't bother with any rota, just go when I feel the need to, the same as when I did before I started using catheters. In the past year I've started waking once in the night to urinate, which is a nuisance but just a minor one. I haven't measured my discharge for years, but again I think it is in the same range as yours. When I first started I got volumes of up to 900 ml, but I don't wait until I am so full nowadays.

Incidentally, I have been using Coloplast SpeediCath catheters, and though these are supposed to be single-use I have been re-using a single catheter for several days without problems. I just put it back into its package (which contains a little sterile saline solution), hanging on the lavatory cistern. Although I don't have to pay for catheters, I didn't like the NHS having to pay for about five catheters per day at £1.53 each (price a year ago). Re-using catheters will no doubt be criticised as risky, with warnings about infection and cystitis, but I can only say that I have had no problems in doing this for several years. I don't take any particular hygiene precautions, though I do have a shower each morning.

• Posted

To add to the message I sent yesterday, I should perhaps add that when using catheters I don't touch the tubes at all when using them. It is quite easy to insert them just by holding the plastic nozzle and letting the end hang down. This avoids contamination and perhaps helps my freedom from infection when I re-use them.

• Edited

You have to be careful to avoid CAUTIs - Catheter Associated Urinary Tract and Testicle infections caused by catheters that cause injuries because they are too thick or inflexible.

Your doctor will tell you they safe because he prescribed them.

Take that with a pinch of salt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.