Self catheterisation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I normally self catheterise but my consultant has told me too stop so they can see if a Urethroplasty is the way to go.

My problem is my flow is now very weak and i need to go more often. I have no issues starting but it just dribbles out now and i don't seem to empty my bladder. Now my appointment has been put back another week so it will be two weeks time. Do you think it will be OK or should i start to catheterise again. I normally self catheterise twice a week and have not done for 8 weeks so far.

I am very worried that i will stop going all together as i know this can cause problems.  

Has anyone else had this problem and was it ok

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Ron I’m having the exact same problem except mine is a stricture at the tip of my penis. Mine started out with a little bit of pain then a sudden razor blade pain and an angled urine flow. After I tried urinating again it just crippled causing pressure at the tip of my penis. I now catherize myself about 2” in every night. Still burns to urinate after doing it but it goes away during the day.

I would suggest just keep catherize game yourself to keep your flow. But always go to your doctor about it.

• Posted

Guys so sorry for the delay in replying. Not sure how but missed the update to this thread. 

Anyway everything was fine in the end. My consultant said it was very rare for the flow to stop altogether. 

I have to carry on until December. That is the soonest he can fit me in for the Urethroplasty. He did refer me back to my original consultant as he thinks there may be other issues as the last operation to widen the stricture seemed to be working a bit. There was still a narrowing but not enough to slow the flow down as much as it is.

He says it may be an issue with my prostrate. 

Anyway the upshot is that i have to carry on catheterising but just once a week until i see him in December. 

• Posted

Good.  What size do you use to self cath?  How far in do you havre to go? 
  • Posted

I use a size 14 and go all the way past the prostrate. Can be difficult at times but it isn't painful 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.