Self-Cathing and Blood Thinners

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I recently had a spill off my bicycle and ended up in the ER. CT scans discovered a "massively distended bladder" as well as an aortic aneurysm, neither of which were caused by the fall from my bike. I have followed up with a thoracic surgeon for the aortic aneurysm and a urologist for the distended bladder. I raised some eyebrows in the ER when they drained 5300 mls of bloody urine from my bladder and they were amazed I was not in excruciating pain. I was not.

A Foley catheter was put in (which I still wear 4+ weeks later), and this past Thursday I completed urodynamic testing during which I was unable to void, so I left with another Foley and a followup visit with the urologist in 2 weeks. The LPN performing the urodynamic testing advised IF the urologist recommends CIC (self-catheterization) to go that route.

I currently take Pradaxa and Dofetilide to manage my afib. Several of the comments on a related site mentioned bleeding while self-cathing and I am concerned about excessive bleeding being on a blood thinner and would be interested in any feedback from those doing CIC while taking a blood thinner.

Improved health to all and thanks for reading and any responses.

Patrick

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your issues Patrick. No advice , but want you to know you are on my prayer list. You were one of my models when I was deciding about staying with dofetilide , i have followed your progress and pray for your good health. Stay strong. Confidence is everything.

• Posted

Hi Pat, I appreciate your positive response and concern! Ever onward!

Patrick

• Posted

Patrick, I suppose the best advice is to get all the doctors to confer. If the catheterization is temporary, I wonder if it might be best to suspend the blood thinners for that period. It's a statistical thing after all, and for that period the statistics might be that you should do without. More likely they'll tell you to just stay on and wait for trouble, and only if you have trouble will they then consider the issue. OTOH if the catheterization is ongoing, perhaps you just volunteer to keep on with everything and don't buy trouble before it happens. I suppose it also depends on the degree of your afib, and perhaps you can try another treatment, like a beta blocker, if it's a temporary thing. Just tossing up some ideas, of course all best discussed with doctors who have both training and knowledge of all your conditions. Best wishes!

• Posted

Thanks for your response! Yes, I will definitely confer with my ER should I go with the CIC option. From what I've researched, some have an easier time adjusting to this treatment than others and I hope to be in that group!

Best to you going forward!

Patrick

• Posted

Hi Patrick , sorry ( genuinely ) to hear of your woes , cant help there but all l can say is keep your spirits up and crack on . Continue with your positive mind set and posts , Bravo Zulu !!

• Posted

Hey Hywell, Thanks for your positive response! Will meet this challenge head on...and do my best to keep my sense of humor about me as well!

Best to you going forward!

Patrick

• Posted

Hey All,

I think I read somewhere here that catheters are covered by MEDICARE up to $200/month? Does this cover a month's supply? Also, is this covered by basic Medicare or do I need Part D for prescription coverage? Reason I ask is I recently switched my prescription coverage to the VA and discontinued my Medicare Part D coverage as the monthly copays for my 2 afib meds were $300+/month and I get them for much less through the VA.

If I need PART D Medicare to cover caths, I can re-enroll now during open enrollment. I could possibly have them provided by the VA, but I would prefer to not have a second urologist to visit as this may be required for for the VA to provide caths, and they may not have the variety to choose from.

Curious if anyone here can provide insight in this regard. I appreciate your continued support.

Patrick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.