Self Diagnosed Newbie

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey My name is Vicki and I'm 23. I've recently self diagnosed my self with this condition. Had it in my groin/inner thigh for about a year. First time was told by Dr it was from shaving which I did not believe as I've been shaving for last 10 years. I didn't get the lumps that often. But in the last month I've had 3 two have gone pusy, the first one I put a pin through and got all the nastiness out and it went. This latest one started getting white and purple from this morning and its got bigger and bigger and the day has gone on. When to drs this evening and been prescribed two weeks I'd anti biotics and hibiscrub hoping this is going to work. It's such an awful condition the pain, the scaring and the embarressment. Hope this forum can help us all 😊 thanks for reading my essay 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Argh please don't put a pin through any more vicki,  I know it's tempting but you can make it much worse as well.  

And don't diagnose yourself either. Doctors don't know about HS so you need to ask for a referral to a dermatologist as there are treatments available especially as yours has not spread.  But if it is then it probably will then some treatments would be ruled out.  

Mine has spread and I have been told the only way to deal with them now is on an individual basis (apart from the usual antibiotics that is) and to have any that keep recurring in the same spot incised with local anaesthetic.

Your doctor can lance any that aren't infected and will make sure they are sterile.  The infection can be dangerous,  especially if your immune system is low,  and can cause septacemia.  Take them seriously please.  

• Posted

Its such a pain. I have another two come up side by side on my inner thigh. Not 1 but 2. Its like one and joined the other to keep it company. Mine seem to appear in times of stress, and clothing seems to have a part to play aswell. I did alot of walking yesterday and the seam of my trousers appears to have irritated the skin and bob's your uncle - 2 painful red purple pus filled beauts appear. My only grace is that this area is so weakened by them, that they tend to come up quickly and burst quickly too.
  • Posted

Hi please never put a pin in anymore I have in desperation made that mistake on one on my face it was getting bigger I freaked so pinned it, all I got out of it was a small bit if clearish fluid so felt waste of time that was on a sat night by the Sunday it had grown more so me being me thought it was going to pop and be gone. How wrong was I with that idea on the Monday morning I woke up it was really painful and looked nasty I went to work everyone asked what I had done when I told them I got a lecture and told to call doctor. I went to see gp she also gave me a massive lecture about pinning it and I was put on antibiotics I had given myself a nasty infection that day I also got lectures from family and friends I did feel really stupid for using a pin as instead of making things better I made it a million times worse. 

I would Definatly ask to be referred to dermatologist as when u get the diagnosis on your notes doctors seam more understanding as I kept getting fobbed off until after over 10 yrs when it become a proper diagnosis.

good luck with it and next time step away from any pins or sharp objects xx

• Posted

Yes I have done that too in the past trudy - never again.  Apart from anything else doing it on one on your face will cause scarring and pits in your skin and you don't want that!  x
    • Posted

Unfortunatly i do have scarring but after that I had it removed under a local so can't say how much of the scarring is my fault I can imagine I contributed to it though. Xx
    • Posted

Scarring isn't your faul trudy - it is just one of those things.  I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about yourself so please don't.

I had very severe acne from the age of 11 to about 20.  I did unfortunately pop my spots because I didn't know any better and I have ended up with scarring and pits in my skin.  It's a pain to live with and I can't count how many derogative comments I have had from men.  I have always felt ugly and unlovable and have never married or had kids.   It has not stopped me having bf's though or doing things with my life.  But I just don't want the scarring and pits for you or anyone else.  It has had a major effect on my life though.  Sometimes I think it has ruined it but at other times it has made me the person I am today and that's ok.

You know there is a lot more treatment available now than when I was young and I don't think I would have ended up like this if I was younger.

My face was so bad I had 2 dermabrasions back in the 80's which did help quite a lot so I consider myself 'lucky' in some ways.  Nowadays there is laser treatment which unfortunately is not on the NHS.  

Good luck with it.  xx  

• Posted

Anyone know how to use the Hibiscrub? I wasn't told by the doctor or pharmacist and I didn't realise it was used for hospital reasons so it must be strong stuff so what is the most effective way to use it in the groin area?
  • Posted

I had self diagnosed myself months ago and after 2 surgeries and multiple doctors visits and rounds of antibiotics, I landed in the emergency room Sunday and told the doctor who treated me what I thought it was.  He is the first doctor to take me seriously and research HS and study the cultures and information from my past surgeries.  He said this is more than likely what I have.  He put me on two very stron antibiotics and told me to soak in a hot bath at least 3-4 times a week for about 20 minutes.  I've soaked twice this week and put a little Epsom salts in there and it's already helping.  Also, if you can get your hands on Phisohex (the soap doctors scrub down with before surgery that kills bacteria) he said to wash the infected area twice a week with that to kill off bacteria.  I couldn't find Phisohex so he told me to use Phisoderm which is easier to find and does the exact same thing.  I'm in the US but I'm sure you can find something similar if not the exact same thing.  Hope this helps!
  • Posted

hi

do not burst them yourself as it causes them to sinus and creates bigger problems later, i know from experience, insist on a referral to a dermatologist and long term antibiotics like months or even a year

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.