Self-harm and occasional pain intolerance?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have searched all over the web for an answer but cannot find one, hoping someone can help. I have major depression, currently in a severe depressive episode. One of the unhealthy ways I cope is self-harm. Yes, my therapist knows.

I understand why I find short term relief, endorphins and all. But what I can't understand is why other pain still hurts? Example - chronic migraines and headaches, accidental injuries... if I cause injury, it feels good, but if I'm not the (purposeful) cause, it's like I'm normal?

FWIW, self harm is an endless sinkhole of misery that I wish I'd never known. it really just worsens my depression.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

When someone self harms its usually because they need attention from others. They are not feeling loved or supported. What you need to do is focus on maintaining healthy relationships but also fill the void. There is something you need and want but it will not fall in your lap, you have to go and get it. Self harming is destructive, physically and mentally. Spirituality and guidance can help you in the right direction. Stress levels are helped in prayer. You must seek what you actually want and work on getting what you want. Stress of life is helped in good relationships and constructive guidance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.