Self help for Neck arthritis please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I don't know if I am on the right forum but here goes. I am female aged 71 and have various health problems including OA in the knees, spine and neck. I also suffer from anxiety. I am used to always have some sort of pain or stomach upset (I am IBS /gastritis/and divericulosis). At the beginning of October I caught an awful virus lasted 6weeks had one lot of penicillin then got a urine infection and had to have more anitibiotics.

My neck since diagnosis around 6 years ago has only ever caused the odd ache and pain easily remedied by half hour rest until around May of this year the pain was awful terrible headaches and pains in the head and neck saw doctor she was not too worried I self referred for physio had an examination and given some exercises to do but not further appointments. It did get better and I carried on the exercises, Since being ill and obviously laying down a lot the pain has come back for the last 2 weeks. same symptoms. I am due to see gp next week. I get headaches muzzy and neck pain going over back of head face pain and some problems ends of fingers on right hand but have had this before. Not sure if this is to do with the neck or maybe be carpel tunnel or something similar. It's not pins and needles its more like if you have had your hands in hot water and they feel a bit spongy at the tips and its not all the time. I can only take paracetamol no nsaids and I am what they call a steroid responder which means I should not take them unless really necessary as the could worsen my glaucoma by causing a rise in the pressures.

What I would like advice on is

1. Best sleeping position and what type of pillow I did ask the physio but they said it didn't really matter as long as it supports.
  2. Should I ask for another xray or an MRI
  3. How can I deal with the pain better. I get so worried about not being able to do things. I am due to have my hair done this afternoon but worry it will make the pain worse. Do you find that you often have to cancel arrangements at the last minute. I find people really don't understand and doctors seem not to offer much advice on any condition these days. You are left to find out yourself on forums like this. If anyone could offer any advice or tips I would be grateful. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I think it is worse because it is nearly Christmas and there is shopping etc to do.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Just wondering how you are all doing. I look on this site from time to time but it's gone very quiet.

I still have the same old symptoms with added shoulder pain now too. I've been for another neck x ray and have to make an appointment with my GP. I think he is going to refer me to a rheumatologist again.

I take anxiety meds, ssri's and you shouldn't take nsaids with them. Is anyone else on ssri's, if so, what are you taking for pain?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.