Self home tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi does anybody know weather the self home tests for coeliac are any good or reliable. I wish to do one before then going to the doctors as they don't seem to be taking my feelings seriously at all. However if they are not reliable or accurate there is no point. Thankyou

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't imagine they would be. The best thing is to cut wheat, see how you respond for a few weeks, then start it again, if your symptoms return then goto a Dr and tell them, they will expect some evidence to warrent the tests as they can be expensive

• Posted

Hi thankyou for taking the time to respond. I was thinking of doing on m nearly 5 year old son. He has always had gastrointestinal issues since he began weaning. Right from the off when he started. The docs since then put him on movicol as he got impacted and he's been on it since but he still has so many other symptoms that I often wonder if he has even been diagnosed correctly. He eats alot of gluten in his feet at present.

The symptoms he gets is constipation and then diarrhea. He never has any regular kind of bowel movements they are always onend extreme or the other. He gets regular joint aches and pains. His stomach boats nearly everyday after he has eaten something and stays bloated most of the day. He gets tired really quickly. He gets these tiny spot rashes or lumps on his arms around his elbows. He is prone to skin problems like ezcema and dermititis. He often gets back pains too. I have been back and forth to the docs with him. He had hospital referrals and many blood test. All came back clear I think the only the he wasn't tested for is coeliac. His lymph nodes in his neck are also always up they never go down. Another reason he was referred to the hospital. But it's got me thinking what if they are always up because he has this auto immune disease. That surely makes sense as they are meant to come up when your body needs to fight infection.

I don't know I could be way off the mark. But after doing the tests at the hospital. They docs don't always take me seriously I really had to fight the last time for him to get his last bloods done and his body scan. I don't want to waste anyone's time though. So didn't know if to give one of those home tests a try and if it comes back positive then maybe the doc will take me seriously

• Posted

To be honest i think a dr wouldnt pay any attention to a home test not sancitioned by them.  If your son eats a lot of gluten - then stop it for a few weeks, if the symptoms lift then return when you reintroduce it, they would take that seriously then do further tests.  Part of the test anyway i think is to stop gluten, i think for a minimum of 2 weeks, then they will ask you to bring it back in - so if you do that on your own before seeing them, not only will it speed things up, but itll show them you are seriously trying to find the answer too.  A home test is not really scientific and it wont tell them anything useful i dont think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.