Self pity anyone?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression over many years, sometimes better sometomes worse, but lately I am just crying everyday from self-pity. I have read in books that self-pity is not good for you but I can't seem to stop. It all seems to be about feeling sorry for myself. I hate myself for being this way. It is so selfish and self-obsessed but these feelings are there and won't go away. I've tried exercise because this is good for depression. I try to go for a walk everyday but just don't have the will to do it. There are many things I know help with depression (getting out, meeting people, exercise, keeping busy) but I don't do them. I just want to sleep all the time. Anyway, does anyone else have these intense feelings of self-pity. I know I shouldn't but I just want someone to take care of me and I know no-one will. I feel so pathetic. I have no respect for myself because I don't do anything to help myself. I just give up.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI ,

Have you seen doc. What meds. you on ? All of the stuff you have mentioned can help , but, perhaps you

need medical also .

don't give up , please , I was, and still at times suicidal . help is out there , you need to ask for it .

Take care

jenny

• Posted

You've passed the first stage where you need to realise you have a problem. Next is to seek medical help. If you haven't yet done so then do that now.
  • Posted

Thank you for replying, but this has been going on for some years. I'm on venlafaxine 225mg and have been for years. Tried changing to Mirtazine but felt awful. Have seen countless therapists and counsellors and many alternative therapies, also CBT. Nothing seems to help. I am trying to use mindfulness and meditation at the moment. This seems to help a bit but I can't do it every day (just forget or fall asleep). Been using cannabis to numb it out. This works for as long as I have weed but can't afford it. Trying not to use at the moment but is difficult. I am so fed up with my life. Thank you again for your replies. It helps. I feel I have tried all the help out there and don't know quite where to go next. Also my wife gets fed up with me being depressed which makes me try to hide it from her which makes me feel worse but she has a nasty temper sometimes and when she shouts at me I feel destroyed and desperate for some love.
  • Posted

Read a post from David today and it captured the nature of depression in it's many facets, but also highlights the hope in the shadow - the silence given a voice.

Having suffered from a mild type of depression myself one thing that stood out for me is my desire not to lose hope in the face of hoplessness. I realized early enough that I was in a battle and that I had the option of choosing defeat. I was recommended CBT and read many books to help understand my condition. But what eventually helped was my Christian belief - I prayed for a sound mind and believed and hoped in God and the changes were not immediate but gradual. But today I can boldly say depression is behind me.

Depression has been associated with chemical inbalance and it irks me that one would need unnatural chemicals to correct too much or too little natural chemical - can balance be truly achieved. As much as there are chemical contributors to depression but I believe that there is a spiritual and soul input and impact - and this aspect must never be trivialized.

Don't give up Athol, never give up. If all fails with drugs or men; try God.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.