selincro

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello   i know there are many posts about this and i have posted before.

what has surprised  / shocked me is that my ADS worker didn't know what the NICE guidelines for Selincro are [ i know it has different names] and had to google during a session to check what the guidelines are for this -  i knew it was people who drink 7.5 units and more per day but he couldn;t quote this     and 4 months into sessions still no luck getting it prescribed     my consumption is between 90 - 135 per week with a few days free in the same timescale.  i think that understanding the physcial dependence aslect is what's a worry - however i have cut down a lot now and will ask my doctor to get involved

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Jamie,

I would encourage anybody who comes across this lack of knowledge (which is widespread) to make an official complaint to the organisation involved, suggesting that their staff are educated to a sufficient standard if they are going to claim to be experts in the field.

It is even the same with detox. So-called 'alcohol counsellors' are telling people to keep a drinking diary and cut down over time (which is close to impossible) with absolutely no understanding of the medical side of alcohol addiction. When I worked in the NHS, I was constantly surprised by the lack of knowledge in people who claimed to know what they were talking about.

• Posted

Thank you Paul     i don't know what other people think but i m not yet ready to complain as i woudl fear that may impact on them prescribing medication as they seem very reluctant to     bearing in mind i was at the stage of feeling able to stop if i was supported with medication - that's what i asked for some months ago and i m not progressing     
    • Posted

Unfortunately Jamie, you are not the only one having this problem. It is widespread across the country.
  • Posted

just an update    as i have done 2 weeks clean she will now refer me for selincro    but he never heard of Severity of Alcohol Dependence Questionnaire (SADQ)    bizarre !
    • Posted

sorry he is counsellor referring to her doctor so she can prescribe, my misttake, she's very knowledgeable   
  • Posted

i m really happy to say that i m now in my first week of nalmafene / selincro and its going better than i hoped

the side effects ar as described and bad for the first few days then level out; amazingly it has completely put me off alcohol in the sense that i have no desire to drink and only twice thought about it   eary days i know but good start

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.