Selincro

Posted , 6 users are following.

It is 4.20pm and I've eaten a meal of baked beans, cheese and toast with a cup of tea.  And I've taken a pill - my first in 6 months since the last one made me so sick.  I am so anxious about what it's affects will be but I have to regulate that, or the anxiety might be another side effect. I think I am more concerned that I will be so ill again I won't be able to go to work tomorrow and that's just not acceptable!  I also hope I'm still awake in two hours to take a glass of wine and begin the TSM!  Last time I was in bed about 40 minutes after taking the pill.  Well ..... only time will tell.  I debated veryvigerously about taking 1/3 or even 1/2 a pill, but I was persuaded otherwise by many more knowledgeable souls on this great forum.  I hope they are right and it will get better by the second and third pill.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abigail,

You must be in Aus or similar (Perth?) for that time difference (7+).

I wish you luck with Selincro, it must be hard to give it another go, if you had bad side effects before. I must say, quality dinner, basic tummy lining home type food is always the best in times of need.

I've not taken Selincro, so I can't help with advice, but as you know, plenty here have, and will be along to give you good advice.

Hang on in there!

• Posted

Hi Abigail

I am currently taking it but can't really give much advice because I have no side effects whatsoever but I wish you luck

• Posted

I also do not take this drug.

But am doing research on the drugs for alcoholism and alcohol cravings.

It seems you have ALL the side effects of this drug.  Have you tried Naltraxone...which side effects listed do not include any of the side effects that Selincro does....I copied this  from a clinical study report:

In the same issue of Biological Psychiatry a commentary with the title „Naltrexone and Nalmefene: Any Meaningful Difference?“ by Robert Swift of Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, is published (Swift, Biol Psychiatry 2013). He answers the question as follows: „The comparison of these two medications given the current state of knowledge and treatment evidence suggests that there are minimal if any differences in efficacy for reducing heavy drinking. In terms of adverse events, nalmefene may offer an advantage in no hepatotoxicity and the lack of need for liver function testing.“

• Posted

How did you get on?  I tried on Friday too ( first time again in 6 months) and I just can't get through it, it makes me feel so ill.  I'm hoping to try the Naltrexone as aparently side affects are less.  Would like to know how you got on and if you manged to stick with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.