selincro/nalmefene and alcohol

Posted , 71 users are following.

I drink between 1 and 2 bottles of wine a night. Took my first selincro tablet yesterday afternoon and genuinely didn't feel like I wanted any booze, not sure whether this is psychological or not but who cares, it seems to work. Unfortunately I took the tablet when picking my daughter up from school as I didn't see anywhere that they cause drowsiness so I drove home feeling really spaced out, not good, in fact probably more dangerous than driving after a couple of glasses of wine. I virtually had no sleep last night also. Is anyone else having similar problems?

12 likes, 404 replies

404 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jan,

I have been taking for about 3 weeks now and unfortunately the drug is not helping as much as it did initially.  My old ways are slipping back.  Not quite so bad as before, but still pretty bad.

I definitely think the more time between taking the tablet and then starting to drink the better.  If I drink relatively close to taking the tablet it has little effect in slowing me down whatsoever.

How do you find you are getting on?

X

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I've been taking nalmafene for 10 days now and they seem to be helping. I did what Paul said and took them for a week but now I'm cutting down to a tablet every other day and so far I've been ok and not needed/wanted any alcohol. How often are you taking them? Stick with it . 3 weeks is really good and I've heard that if you can get through the first 4 weeks then things get a bit easier.

Take care

Jan

• Posted

I'm pleased it's working for you, Jan - did you have any side effects?
    • Posted

Hi Emma,  how are you getting on since this post?

• Posted

Have you been prescribed this by your doctor?  I asked my dr for this medication a couple of months ago.  I was told she couldn't prescribe it and that I should have counselling.  Was assessed by a counsellor who said they couldn't offer me the service as I drank too much and needed to cut my alcohol consumption by at least half before they would!! 

• Posted

This is EXACTLY my problem with alcohol services in the NHS. They don't meet the needs at all. Did they offer you any other type of help?
    • Posted

No.  I'm reading all sorts of self help books at the moment.  I've even looked online to see if I can buy them.  I'm not expecting a miracle cure from them, just a bit of help as I really want to stop.  I have a psychological dependency and as much as people say "just stop" it really is easier said than done.  I manage to go a few days then give in.
    • Posted

Karin PLZ listen to Paul . Find professional advice.. There r many ways to stop the cravings and many good drugs help block the cravings to help give u a good start. U have to want to quit. There is no one way to stop or on size fits all. Energy one is different. There r many variables to fit many lifestyles to stop.

• Posted

The problem is, Hope, that Nalmefene is recommended ONLY with psychological support and that is not easily accessible here in the UK. Drug and alcohol treatment teams are poorly resourced and cannot take on the additional work of counselling people on Nalmefene.

Our NHS services are free at the point of delivery, but that means that resources are always stretched and large holes are left in essential services, particularly those for people with alcohol issues.

• Posted

Hi karin10192! I went to my GP who told me that he was unable to prescribe on the NHS as it hadn't been cleared by our local PCT? Howevever he was prepared to offer a private prescription for Nalmefene which cost me £62.00 to fill. Sounds a lot but equates (in my case) to just  the cost of 1.5 pints per day! took one tablet prior to my very busy business time at xmas and felt AWFUL  for 2 days. However having read some of the comments here about tolerence building I will be taking it for the whole of January 2015. Fingers crossed! Cheers!
    • Posted

I think you probably only need to take it for a week to get your body accustomed to it Teezy.

You are right with the economics because you would save a lot more on alcohol smile

Yet again, that postcode lottery. Not only does your GP need to be familiar with Nalmefene, but the local PCT needs to have approved it for you to get an NHS prescription.

• Posted

Oh good luck because I am going to start taking on Tuesday . Lice with my new par we has to change . 
  • Posted

I took my first pill yesterday afternoon. Bad choice as we went out to a dinner party  and I was driving, so drink wasn't really an issue anyway. In the end I had two small glasses of wine over about 3 hours. I certainly did not have any cravings for more. On the contrary, by the time I got home I felt dizzy and nauseous. My stomach felt bloated and the thought of more food or wine made me quite sick. I had a terrible sleepless night suffering strange light headaches, nausea, dizziness and abdominal discomfort. And similar effects all day today. I spent most day in bed feeling as if I had the flu. And even now, more than 24 hours after taking it, I still can't face food or alcohol and still feeling generally unwell. I am afraid I don't think this medication is for me. I simply cannot stomach a second dose with all the side effects. I will try to reduce my alcohol consumption with will power only. I can do it but all it needs is some unexpected stress and I revert to my bad old pattern. Still, it gives the liver a chance to repair. Pity about the wonder pill. Ed
    • Posted

This seems to be an issue with Nalmefene. I think maybe they should recommend people taking it for a week to get their body accustomed to it before using it as suggested (only before drinking). Too many people appear to have a night out ruined and are reluctant to take it again. The side effects of nausea and insomnia do appear to go away after a few days of taking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.