Selincro (nalmefene) experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys!

I'm not big on online presence and zero on social media, but thought i'd drop a line here since this seems to be an important topic, but also a "touchy" subject it feels..

So it is not all as scary as one might think after reading majority of reviews that pop up upon searching even this forum alone.

I've no long-term experience yet, but hope that my reporting as I go might be useful to some scared poor soul looking for help and thinking that drinking dangerous amounts of alcohol might yet be a better alternative than to try Selincro. .. I was one such soul before I took my first tablet so I know what i'm talking about 😃 I waited almost half a year to act, would love it if my post saves somebody this amount of time contemplating.

So, about me my drinking: daily bottles of wine/prosecco. Occasional g&t . Boring, but, sadly, very typical of a London-ess.

Took my first Selincro pill with a veggie salad. Sat scared and expecting nausea and for the aliens to come for at least an hour. Guys - nothing bad happened! It made me slightly lightheaded for about half/one hour, but that's it! Waited for 2,5-3 hours before i took a sip of one of my favourite red wines (a little ceremony i thought would be good) - it tastes the same, smells the same, looks the same.... but somehow isn't the same. I get it now why people don't really describe their experience with nalmefene unless they have had a bad reaction (which is then easy to explain). The actual action is just nothing like i've ever felt.. its hard to describe the feeling of not feeling. It's like nalmefen has cut the cord to the wine. It's still there, it's still mine and i still love it.... but i'm okay if it goes to college and only visits on holidays.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I actually have the opposite to the possibly expected reaction - feel really happy and relaxed. Kind of the opposite of the expected/ possible side effects, really.. but i guess this is a weird/ temporary reaction - or I may just be relieved that I need not give up the guest bedroom for those aliens!

• Posted

WOW thats good! Well done. This what I'm looking for. I do have a lot of willpower but need that extra backup. I want this pill but since I'm on Tramodol they ( doc and councilor ) won't prescribe. Ive been great for just over 1 year ( having 2 drinks per night ) not before 5-6 pm and not after 12am but this last 2-3 weeks has been steadily creeping up. I'm so fed up with this constant battle .

• Posted

hey! sorry to hear you're having struggles - but if you've been down to 2 drinks (what kind/ amount?) per night on willpower alone, I personally think that you don't even need Nalmefene, since you've been doing such a good job of controlling your intake yourself anyway.

Have you discussed getting off the painkiller with your physicians? - being on mild pain meds for over a year seems a bit silly (I mean no disrespect to you here, just trying to ascertain the situation, but pls feel free to tell me to go mind my own business..)

• Posted

Hi Eugenia. Fascinating to read but what actually happened??are you drinking less? Just wondering wh at is your current situation?

• Posted

it's my first day today, but even though I started drinking early - couldn't wait to test out the pill! - but i'm already done. What happened is ..i've lost interest basically.

So day one: had a total of maybe 350-400ml of wine.

Nalmefene in now way protects from getting a buzz, but ..and it's hard to explain, but it's a "useless buzz". And right now feeling slightly buzzed, if at all to be honest, but still feels as an added effort - and I'd rather not do that.. in all seriousness going to do some painting.

• Posted

ps> promise to proofread my future messages

• Posted

aaaand its all gone, and i've lost any sort of interest in drinking more. Had two glasses overall.

Hm, this may be a good thing after all!

• Posted

That's excellent! So pleased to read this.

Yes, Selincro seems to be a very misunderstood medication by many medical professionals, and because of that misunderstanding, doctors don't tend to know about or explain a number of things to their patients.

1. Any side-effect issues are usually very temporary, in line with many, many other medications out there. Everyone is different, but everyone can prepare in case.
    2. In the beginning, eat first to prevent the risk of nausea and drink lots of water to help flush it out the system as quickly as possible the next day.
    3. Any initial side-effect issues are far, far outweighed by the long term gain that Selincro offers.
    4. Some 'side-effects' are not actually the medication itself, but normal experiences of a reduction in alcohol (insomnia, headache, etc, for example).
    5. Whilst the medication does the heavy lifting, it is also beneficial to keep your progress as smooth as possible by working with the tablets - by that I mean learning to make better choices about when/what/where and how you drink. Like tablets to helps someone lose weight, they will work better in the long run if that person learns to make better choices about what they eat, and start to learn to make longer term changes.

Remember, too, that it does take a while for the Selincro to overwrite the existing drinking 'program' in your brain, and that in the beginning, you may experience amazing success that then wains a little and your drinking may increase again. If it does, do not worry. Just remain compliant to the prescribing instructions and continue onwards.

I am excited for you and hope that you will continue to post and let us know how things are going for you, or to ask any questions as you progress.

• Posted

is it safe to take whilst pregnant?

• Posted

From the patient information leaflet that comes with the tablets....

''It is not known if Selincro is safe to use during pregnancy and breast-feeding.

Selincro is not recommended if you are pregnant.

If you are breast-feeding, you and your doctor should make a decision whether to discontinue breast-deeding or to discontinue Selincro therapy, taking into account the benefit of breast-feeding to the child and the benefit of therapy to you.''

• Posted

Just to write a quick update.. full disclosure: I think that the way I am doing things is not the right way, so please do not follow my steps without discussing with a doctor.

So from the first pill until now I have, in total, had 2 bottles of wine. Really.

I didn't try not to drink as of yet though, its just that I honestly didn't think about drinking. And when I did, I could feel the alcohol more - smell, taste.. my beloved wine got this somewhat medicinal quality to it. I begin to wonder whether this is why back in the day when I'd just started my love and hate relationship with wine I had a decanter.?.

My alcohol tolerance went down I think. It was my mom's birthday a couple of days ago - I had half a bottle of wine (I did take the pill then, fully expecting to be all in with at least a bottle and a half..). I had half a bottle without trying to drink in moderation.

Now for the bad part that i mentioned..

I didn't take Selincro for absolutely every single glass that I've had during this time. Once unintentionally, the other times out of curiosity. But the overall calmness in my attitude towards alcohol held up despite not being "covered" on that specific day. Surprisingly.. On some very deep subconscious level maybe?. I am now still very okay having one small glass. It is still difficult to not WANT to have some wine when I see others drink, to be honest. Difficult to ditch the ritualistic drinks (ie when i eat a certain salad or when i cook up the storm.. so far always had wine while doing that). But it's getting easier.

I just wish I'd gotten it from an NHS GP, not a private one since paying £110 for 14 pills is really a sad experience.. but I regard it as an investment in my health, so sticking to it. Plus, I do save a pretty penny drinking less (hopefully this trend continues!) so.. it sort of balances itself out.

• Posted

oh, and..

Thank you for pointing out that there may be this "golden girl" period in the very beginning - which I am very obviously experiencing 😃 followed by a potential fall back into bad habits. It was really - and I mean VERY - useful to know. Even though I am not there yet, I know that, should this time come, it's okay.. because, frankly, I was afraid of just that - when I hadn't even started. I now know to persevere despite any falls.

To date, I've only taken 4 pills - and even that amount has changed my life. I now have no side effects whatsoever (I think the third pill was already a smooth ride). And it just makes me feel more calm knowing that I have the little helpers to get me through any potential downfall.

So I cannot say how much of my current modest success is down to the psychological factor, but for me... taking my first Selincro has been a life-changing event.

I cannot believe that NHS aren't more onboard with helping people veer off the way of becoming truly and deeply dependent on alcohol. This little oval pill is all it takes to give people hope and strength to stand with their head held high.

• Posted

I am so sorry for spamming, unsure how to edit a post..

But I forgot to mention smth important: it has been my second night in a row last night when I didn't wake up at 03:20 like an idiot unable to fall back to sleep for hours. In fact, yesterday and today I slept until 9am!! Granted, I went to bed after midnight on both occasions, but I managed to sleep afterwards!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.