Sensation BEHIND knees following TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my knees replaced 10 weeks ago and am taking Tylenol during the day, when I need to. My pain level is really manageable, and mostly present if I overdo something. The problem I’m having is the awful sensation BEHIND my knees when I try to sleep! It’s like a buzzing kind of sensation that’s similar to that restless leg thing, but centered just behind each knee. I can’t find a position that minimizes it and I repeatedly wake up from the sensation. Anybody else dealing with this? Is it to be expected following TKR? Does it eventually go away? It’s so darned frustrating.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations! You are thru the worst now. I had bilateral TKR in 2016. I didn't have this particular problem. Sometimes they cut a tendon behind the knee & it may still be healing. I had problems with messed up muscles & hamstrings cuz I let it get so bad before I had the replacements. Keep doing your exercises & ask your PT about it. Try putting a pillow under your knee at night & ice will still be your best friend for awhile longer! How's it feel to have your life back?

• Posted

Hi-

Thanks for responding.

Well, things ARE better for the most part,  admittedly: it’s trying to sleep that’s the issue. Yep, I’m icing and exercising and using the pillow and following my PT’s guidance. Just hoped I could learn what this crazy sensation IS! I’ll pester my doctor and see what she says. 

I’m glad to hear your experience was so positive: eventually I hope to get there too.

PJ

• Posted

Neuropathy perhaps? Please give more of a description
    • Posted

Well, it’s a sort of buzzing , irritation behind the knees and thighs. Not pain so much as a pervasive, intensively uncomfortable sensation. NO position makes it stop.  Similar to the feeling of restless legs... just localized. It’s absolutely awful, all night long.  I’m having such success during the day, with walking and exercise. What in the heck is this??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.