Sensation of Movement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else have the sensation of movement or a 'lurch' when moving your head if you're anxious?

I had been putting this down to vertigo but I started to look into anxiety symptoms rather than the usual worse case scenario and apparently it is quite common.

When I'm like this, sometimes I feel as if I am about to fall or drop - or I imagine it. I've always had a feeling of falling occasionally but the movement has come on this year.

Is it anxiety altering mental state (like a hallucination,) or is it something that the body can do to itself with prolonged stress?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sillymop. It can actually be a result of both things - the anxiety state will cause certain physical symptoms, dizziness being one of them; and after prolonged stress and muscle tension you can begin to feel a little off kilter. I have similar feelings and every other anxiety sufferer I've spoken with has also had dizziness. The real trouble is that a lot of us (like me!) take these feelings to mean the very worst. But believe me, you'll be fine. This isn't anything serious. Have you tried taking long walks? That's the one big way I help my anxiety. I take long walks just about every day, not for the exercise (although it's a bonus) but because it helps distract me from all those weird feelings and scary thoughts. Usually I walk late at night when it's quiet (social anxiety) and I make phone calls to my loved ones while I walk. Try it, it might help. smile 

Peace xxx 

• Posted

I tend to walk a lot in daily life but always only with a destination in mind and rarely just to enjoy the benefits from it; unless I am with someone.

I’m not sure if it is my anxiety that causes this on just perhaps that I am I slightly reclusive: but I rarely go out alone without a purpose or to meet a friend, etc. I never go out alone just for the sake of ‘getting out’.

My GP suspects that I have an issue with my Eustachian tube caused by the virus. I think my issues have stemmed from an instant anxious reaction and the fact that I cannot quite believe it would last this long (10 months, now.) Of course, my disbelief has perpetuated it, which I can see now… I have not fully escaped my anxious state yet, but I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have also since found out that this disorder can also cause headaches (as can my anxiety – ha! What a terrible circle to be in.)

I have been trying to think of why I immediately jumped to the conclusion of a brain tumor, and I honestly cannot think of why, other than the fact that my mortality suddenly became an issue. I have also reached a certain ‘age milestone’ – that point when you leave your twenties behind and – if you are like me – begin to think: “Wow…that illness IS a possibility, now!”

I have always been a hypochondriac ever since I can remember, but my saving grace has always been to think: “I am too young for that, it’s a slim possibility.”

Now I feel that, actually, I am no longer ‘too young’ to fall fate of terrible things…This combined with a family loss this year I think kicked it all off for me.

I know that something is wrong..simply because it refuses to go away and that is always a red flag. But it is not necessarily something terrible or life threatening…Which is why I am trying to take the bull by the horns and take control by seeing my GP and going to therapy.

Do I wish that they had of just sent me for an MRI? Yes… But I suppose the lesson I have learnt is that you cannot always get that definitive ‘OK’ to quell your anxiety… I am very much a reassurance seeker. It is a huge part of my anxiety and the basis for my OCD. I know this…But I feel my anxiety hides from my in plain site. Everyone can see it but me and yet it has been my closest companion since I can remember.

Apologies for the long reply. Hope you are well!

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, SillyMop. I understand very well what you're saying. A lot of this is new to me. I've had anxiety all my life, and weird thoughts would pop into my head from time to time, but it didn't really impact me until this year. Now I'm at the point where some major symptoms are under control. I just obsessively fear having certain feelings or thoughts. Like, I'm not currently having chest pains, but I fear the potential for that. And I'm not in any way inclined towards self harm, but I know that people with depression & anxiety can be, and so I fear that I *will* become that way too. You said it right: I'm a reassurance seeker and I'm starting to think my obsessive thought spirals are OCD of some kind. So I like coming here because by talking with people like you, I can both reassure and be reassured. All of us are going through different things, but we can at least relate to each other. So thanks and please believe me, you're okay. We'll all be okay. One day at a time. smile 

Peace xxx

• Posted

Sillymop

I get this problem after a long drive, I stagger around some times, I feel it must be caused by the middle ear.

BOB

• Posted

I have that symptom along with every other anxiety sensation. I struggle to feel normal. I feel if I stand to long I am going to fall over and if I go on a walk I feel unsteady. Anxiety plays the greatest tricks on us and our body. I also realize that after months of my body being in distress I feel overall ill. I continue the fight knowing that I will be ok, it just takes time to unravel the mind. Hang in there and keep us posted on what is working for you. These discussion sites are great for support but do try to stay away from the negetive as that will feed your anxiety. Know that you will be ok.
    • Posted

Hi.  You have just described the feelings that I get regularly especially when you say that if you stand too long you feel as if you are going to fall over.  I was relieved to read this as I have never seen that symptom written in a post before !!! It is always comforting to hear someone else has the same symptoms. Also the unsteadiness you mention I get that and the more I think about it the worse it becomes.  Anxiety is definitely not for the faint hearted is it ?? It is so miserable sometimes.   Luv Lilyx
    • Posted

Yes it is not nice. It feels a little like when you are in a car and go too fast over a bridge, that sudden panic as you feel yourself drop.

Sometimes when I am standing - especially when chatting to people - I do feel physically like I may fall... I think it is like being ultra aware of my physical feelings in front of people. Am always scared that people may see I am having a panic attack.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.