Sensation of stuffiness/mucus in left nostril that I cannot get rid of by blowing my nose

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sensation of stuffiness/mucus in left nostril that I cannot get rid of by blowing my nose but keep swallowing the mucus.  NOTHING HELPS..  I have had nasal septum surgery twice, nasal valve surgery once, use allergy sprays, cortisone sprays, antifungal rinses, had the Latera device inserted in the outer wall of my nostril with absolutely no relief.  The only time I can blow my clean out my left nostril by blowing is when I have a cold...I look forward to colds....  Breathe right nasal strips help moderately, but I can't wear them during the day and they are starting to lose effect.  I have had CAT scans and the balloon procedure.  I am miserable, have frequent headaches and am sick and tired of this stuffiness/mucus.  Has anyone every experienced anything like this? I am at my wits end.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The surgeries may have done meet harm than good.

A few questions:

1) have you had a swab for infection?

2) is your sense of smell diminished?

• Posted

Ask doctor for course of prednisolone and amoxicillin. Cut out dairy products. Buy sudafed blocked nose capsules and place few drops of olbas oil on top lip under nose don't get in mouth. Also ask doc for a spray called dymista. Take an anti histamine daily. Hope it is of some help.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I didn't see this thread until i'd started another thread. Sounds very like you have nasal polyps, something i have suffered for very many years. The same stuffiness, blockages, dull head etc you describe and unable to blow to clear. They can block one or both sides, in my case both, in your's sounds like just the one.

If you're not sure if it might be polyps, stand in front of a mirror and try to blow out of your affected side. No air will come out but it will push the polyps up and/or forward so you will see the swelling. (You might still have polyps if they are near the back of your nose without seeing).

In my thread i described what I've been doing over the last three weeks. All natural remedies and no surgery, and while I haven't completed the course yet, the improvement is really remarkable.

Even if it isn't polyps, these remedies should help

My polyps have receded, and I am breathing intermittently through my nose for the first time in over ten years and give it another 10 days i think i might (touchwood!!) be entirely clear. Mine are very stubborn having had them so long, but I feel sure I am winning.

Have a read if you want and keep in touch!

• Posted

The poster hasn't been back so assuming she is well now.

• Posted

Hi, no I am not better. I just posted an update.
  • Posted

Hello Mary, I'm so sorry to hear you are no better. Did you get sudafed/prednisolone etc? Sounds like you have been through a lot of surgery! Are you in UK or USA? Have you had allergy testing for dog/cat/housemite etc? Sounds like you have a constant mucus problem that needs serious meds for drying up! Can you get  Lemsip? Do you drink plenty of fluids? Stay off the cigarettes and any type of alcohol (not suggesting that you smoke or drink) but both these things are out of bounds for us nasal suffers. What do the doctors say about your condition? Have you questioned them closely about the many procedures you have been through? I have 2 or 3 mugs of chopped up lemon with tablespoon of cider vinegar and honey every day (can't do any harm and it's might help to decongest you. If it was polyps they surely would have seen them during your procedures. I can't think of any thing else at the moment but you are not alone and I will be rooting for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.