Sensitive Knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm new around here, but so grateful I found this site. I am 10 weeks post op left TKR. I am experiencing incredible sensitivity on the knee and any clothing /bedsheets touching the area drives me insane. It is so incredibly sensitive. It feels like raw nerve endings. Does this resolve with time, and if so, how long will it take? I know everyone is different, but some ballpark time frames will help. It's been like this since about 4 weeks post op. I cover it with a bandage, but certainly don't want to live the rest of my life with a bandage on my knee.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had that, and my PT told me to De-sensortise I.e. rub different materials on knee Rough towel ,Silk ,Nylon ,cotton ,It really did work

Good Luck

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have tried that, to no avail. My PT also told me to tap the area with my fingertips, but that's also not helping. Or maybe I'm just being impatient!

• Posted

after my revision november 2018 I couldnt stand anything touching my knee like you said even the sheet was torture but I started gentle massaging it with a very soft washcloth eventually it went away after a few months

• Posted

Yes, this will fade with time. In the meanwhile, you can wrap it with a loose ACE bandage or get a compression knee sleeve a size or two larger than you normally will use and slip it on for use under pants and jeans and even at night to eliminate the sheet effects. Piece of pie...easy as cake...

• Posted

you need to keep touching the area, it's hard to do but will help with sensitivity. Mine went away around 8 weeks.

• Posted

I'm three months post op and found this site so reassuring through each process.

i kept rubbing and tapping my knee constantly to desensitize it and found this has helped. i still find if some one else bumps or touches the knee it is still quite sensitive, so i think time is the only real answer to the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.