sensitive skin around hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All. First time post here.

Was diagnosed with hernia near belly button some 2 years ago.

Generally I get by okay with some complaining but it's usually not too bad. Presently trying to shed weight to help.

Over Christmas I got sick with cough and sneeze, fever....The full works.

Since the cough has cleared up I'm left with pain on the surface literally to the upper left of where hernia is. Pushing on it doesn't cause huge pain (though I can feel it) but lightly brushing the skin feels sensitive. No rash to be seen. Itches but j can't tell if that's just because I keep fiddling with it.

Work in a hospital and someone suggested maybe shingles I don't think so though - seems too coincidental as it's location eh?

Wondering if it's likely to be the hernia causing the pain since the extra pressure from coughing. Did think muscle/ligament damage but thought I would feel it when pushing on it.

Advice greatly welcomed. Cheers all

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian, I have a 2 cm hiatal hernia just to the left of my esophagus in my diaphragm and when I have coughing fits, it also hurts more. Not so sure about the skin sensitivity, if there is a rash of any kind it might be shingles, but if not, you might have inflammation under your skin due to the excessive coughing. Your stomach muscles also takes strain from the coughing. My hernia hurts when I press on it, don't even need coughing to make it sensitive. Best of luck to you, get it checked out and fixed if you can!
  • Posted

Got no help for you, sorry. 

sad  

But I would like to encourage you to post everything that happens so's we all can add it to our store of information.

Especially if your hernia starts getting  better!

The universal medical story is: surgical repair is the only repair.

And the universal medical story is:  the hernia pushed through where the muscles are weak.  Which you accept readily together with personal guilt for not having kept your muscles up to scratch.

But it is a poor explanation and not matched by commensurate exercises intended to repair the weak muscles and enclose the hernia once again.

There's localised tissue damage, weakness and we need to find the cause and the treatment.

There's bound to be folks that have had hernias and they've repaired themselves and we need to hear from them.

We need to hear from everyone.

We need information.

• Posted

My stomach muscles should have been in good nick before I started getting hernias.  I ride horses and do (or did) quite heavy duty stable work in wnter
    • Posted

I've read that they've finally decided that work is not what causes the hernias.

Used to be that lifting things was the sure and certain cause.

Well now they've changed their tune, apparently, I don't know why.

Scientific investigation of loads, strengths, strains of the various muscles, muscle groups, overlapping muscles, etc...

Or just the accumulation of anecdotal evidence such as your own.

It's a good thought.  And I think I believe it.  But I'm still very careful when lifting anything.

I'd expect they'd investigate the tissues they excise during hernia ops but I can't find any reports.

We need more info.

Meanwhile try to be healthy I think is about all we can do....

smile

• Posted

Am wearing my hernia belt today. I think I'm going to give another 2 weeks or so to this pain to go as I think location and coughing means it's just too much of a coincidence. My cough went about 2 weeks ago so it's not been that long. My nose is still blocked so I'm not clear of all ailments.

I get pain from my hernia regardless but my aim is to lose weight and I've made progress this year. I find if I don't eat such heavy foods late on I feel much better for it. Also limiting to one can of cola a day and one regular coffee (decaff as much as possible) at work helps too.

I worry that the pain might be something else ongoing. If not shingles then as mentioned this has 2 weeks to improve. Then I start to investigate

• Posted

I sometimes get a burning pain around my hernia which is made worse by anything touching it.  Don't know if this helps.
    • Posted

Could be the same sort of sensation.

I start to worry about diabetes, liver issues, cancers.....All manner of crazy things my mind shouldn't leap to!! It's doing my head in, why do I think it?

I'm getting pain next to a hernia after a cough that's known to strain muscles on that area, yet I'm worrying about that!!

• Posted

The potential pain from hernias is underestimated.  My 1st one gave me very little bother but 2 of the subsequent ones became very painful over time.

I think it's that that makes us worry.  Hernias used to be something of a joke but they are definitely not if you have one.

• Posted

Think you are probably right.

My sensible head tells me that last time I got a cough I moaned because I strained muscles in the exact same area. Also it's right next to the hernia site.

Two coincidences concurrently but still my silly head wanders!!!

• Posted

It's perfectly natural to worry about it... and it could be a very real threat to one's health, if one doesn't take care of oneself. My ex boyfriend had the keyhole surgery 11 years ago... he had to go back twice to reattach the stomach where it was wrapped around the esophagus because he didn't take care. In March 2008, he collapsed at work - his stomach rammed through his hernia into his chest cavity and he nearly died, he was in a coma for three days as they were fighting to save his life. This sort of trauma can be prevented if one follows instructions on proper care, diet etc. So if your mind is going in all directions, just keep in mind that while you're on a mission to lose weight and look after yourself, your chances are infinitely better of not having your situation worsened smile
  • Posted

Hi Ian

Im wondering how you are since your sensitive skin post 7 years ago!

I have recently had Covid was really unwell and had the cough from hell. Now been left with discomfort upper left abdomen. And hypersensitive skin over that area. Awaiting ultrasound to confirm hernia.

Really bothering me now, difficult to bend down without pain, twisting torso, coughing - i get like a red hot poker pain which builds and dies away again but the sensitivity is always there, very sore. Also some heat to touch.

What was the outcome for you?

Hope you are now well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.