Sensitive stomach (IBS) and colonoscopy. Help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 25, I have to get a colonoscopy done on Monday and I've never had one done before. I'm terrified of nothing other than the prep for it. I'm scared that I'll get those sharp, "gas", crippling pains and it's consuming me. It's been really hard for me and I'm just wondering if anyone else can tell me if I have anything to worry about with my concerns? The prep I'm taking is Suprep. Thank you rolleyes

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You really do not need to be concerned about the laxatives you have to take to clean out your bowels before the colonoscopy procedure. They are not painful and apart from the nuisance of having to keep running to the toilet constantly for about 2/3 hours after taking about 2 litres of laxatives which you drink slowly over 1/2 hours and usually you take one lot in the evening and the second first thing in the morning. It is painless and eventually most of your waste products will be mainly water. It is a great method of colonic irrigation and you may feel thinner. Just stay close to a toilet
    • Posted

Thank you much for your reply. I'm a wreck and hoping mine goes as smoothly as yours seemed to. The pain is unbearable and idk what I'll do if I get it. But again, thank you 😏

• Posted

I'm 26 and I just had one done last week due to rectal bleeding. I don't mean to scare you but just want to tell you this to maybe help you better prepare, although everyone's body is different. The colonoscopy itself was not bad at all I was given propafol an anesthetic and didn't remember anything until I woke up in the recovery room. However, the only bad experience I had was the bowel prep the day before. I was ordered to take 4 tablets of dulcolax which took full effect after 3 hours of taking it. I literally thought I was going to pass out, I had chills, became sweaty and nauseous. I sat in the toilet using the bathroom with the worse cramps ever and all of a sudden I vomited what looked like water and then bile. I kept going to the bathroom throughout and had yet to take another laxative which was 10 oz of magnesium citrate. I was fearing for the same symptoms I had earlier while taking it but I had no other choice. I got the really bad cramps again and vomited again while using the bathroom. My advice would be to drink lots of fluids LOTS OF IT... Gatorade, jello, water, apple juice, clear liquids. I didn't hydrate myself as much the day of the bowel prep because I had worked a night shift the night prior and I was so tired the day of the prep and was trying to sleep. If you can I would also say to start the clear liquid diet 2 days before instead of just 1 and it would probably be much easier to get your bowels cleaned. Good luck! Again didn't mean to scare you just wanted to say this so that you'd know that it is very important you keep drinking lots of fluids

• Posted

Oh boy, I feel this is how my experience is going to be as well and I don't know how in going to cope. What did you do to help the pain/ calm your self? Just let it pass? And thank you for your honesty.. in a wreck sad

• Posted

As previous comments have mentioned, everyone is different. I'm 27 and had one a few weeks back. In my experience, it was absolutely fine. 

The prep isn't anything to worry about, it is more just uncomfortable than anything else. The taste isn't great and yes you'll be back and forth to the toilet for a few hours, but that's it. No pain, no side effects. 

The actual procedure was fine for me as well - mild discomfort at most. I don't think you need to worry, but I understand why you are, as I did for days before mine. 

• Posted

Thank you much for your reply. I'm a wreck and hoping mine goes as smoothly as yours seemed to. The pain is unbearable and idk what I'll do if I get it. But again, thank you 😏

• Posted

Hi,

please dont worry too much.  If you get it ready measured out and put it in the fridge and drink lime mixed with water with a straw straight after it will help because of the sugar in the drink you won't dehydrate or get any headaches.  The prep worked about one hour after I started drinking and soon stopped going to the loo after the last drink.  I didn't finish all the prep as I was clear.  Everyone is different, I didn't get cramps just ended up sat on the loo with my iPad for something to do.  Make sure you put sudocrem or Vaseline on your bum as it gets sore but soon heals.  You'll be glad you had it done in the end, the prep is over and done with quite quickly.

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.