sensitive Teeth

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi not sure what happens i seem to have really sensitive if i eat anything hot or cold now eating yesterday i now have a chipped tooth .What i was going to ask was can menopause cause your teeth to become week and break easily .I am worried that this  will lead to a toothache and i have had this before its awfull as it became infected and im scared of the dentist .Just wondering if anyone can relate to this happening to them.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim,  My teeth are weaker than they used to be since perimenopause First cavity ever was a couple years ago at 39!  Hormones mess with everything, so I’m sure our saliva is affected.  Def get the hot/ cold sensitivities too.  Cankers too. I have to use a sensitive toothpaste sometimes that helps.  😀

• Posted

You may just be grinding at night ? I have this too and it’s worse when I know I’ve been grinding at night . 
  • Posted

Hi Kim yes menapause can make your teeth and gums change my dentist did tell me that my teeth are extremely sensitive right now 
  • Posted

Hi Kim

Yes my dentist told me it can make your teeth more sensitive and weaker, I used to feel proud of my strong teeth but since peri there all breaking ☹ today I was eating a choc/almond ice cream and a bit of my back tooth has broke and I now have a sharp area rubbing on my tongue im fed up with it all ☹ my gums bleed to since peri. Oh the joys!!

• Posted

Oh I also forgot to mention I clench my teeth/jaw at night to so sometimes my jaw hurts and also could be why bits of teeth are breaking off, I have been made a mouth guard to wear at night but tried it once and couldn't sleep with it on.

• Posted

I wear a retainer at night to keep my teeth straight  it’s thin plastic and you can hardly notice it .... so it works for both . I too had grinded my teeth down and had cracks so wear it every night . 
  • Posted

I'm 53 and I noticed that I'm becoming dryer and brittler and have been craving a lot less dairy ... Subsequently I chipped a tooth ... I wish that I had been more sensitive to our increased needs for calcium because the tooth is expensive to repair. You actually need more dairy or calcium laden foods around this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.