Sensitivity to screws/plates

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle 13 months ago.  It was surgically repaired with two plates, one on either side of my calf, with a total of 18 screws holding everything in place.  After months in a boot, using different walking aids and physical therapy I am able to walk again.  My current concern is the screws and plates.  I can see and feel the screws.  It is painful to even wear tight socks.  And once my lower leg gets cold it takes forever for the pain to subside.  Does anyone have any recommendations on keeping my lower leg warm or at a consistent temperature?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe Ortho socks. Those thick ones.
    • Posted

Yep.  I have tried these along with my compression sock.  Still miserable....but thanks!
  • Posted

Oh My is there never an end to the problems of ankle surgery?   Heat wraps?   I use them for ankle pain.
    • Posted

Unfortunately it hurts to bad to have anything like that up against the screws.  But thank you!
  • Posted

Yeah. Anything against those screws will start the pain all over again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.