Sensitivity to sound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

New to this forum and so happy to come upon it as at this stage I am feeling in dispair trying to get some help from these side effects. I hadn't been on any meds for the past year but 6weeks ago my GP prescribed Sertraline for me as i was feeling anxious, a lot going on in my life at the time. I started on 50mg, then up to .150 mg however I have developed a horrendous anxiety to sound, traffic and a constant tight band around my chest which I could only describe as a terror/stress. I never had this sensitivity to noise or smells before, and the sound thing is so distressing to me I can no longer sit out in my garden or walk to the village with the noise of traffic . It never bothered me before. Anyone else suffering like this ?  I could find no posts similar in the forum. Please help.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Evelyn   well you have come to the right site  there are lots of people going thru a full range of symptons   I suffer with diarrhea at the moment  but it is getting better  Everybody is different so will experience different things  all new to us  all alarming but they will subside   Have you spoken to yr doctor about sensitivity to sound. When I started I was on 50mg then upped to 100mg within 3 weeks  This caused me to have a really bad diarrhea reaction so put back to 50mg  still had problems   I am now on 25mg and so far this has reduced my symptons   I will gradually go back up as when doctor feels its right. I have been on Sertraline for 8 weeks so far.  Have you tried to mask out sounds i.e with ear muffs (I know this might sound daft but if you are sensitive at the moment then it might help to muffle the sounds) Also how about some nice soft music on a i player something soothing/relaxing. When we are depressed our anxiety it heightened and it becomes a viscious circle   we need to cut that circle    only suggestions  hope something works for you  good luck and try to stick it out  Im sure it will get better
  • Posted

Also it may have been too early for you to jump from 50mg to 150mg  everyone has different tolerances to this drug and maybe you need to start low and gradually increase until you find the level that suits you   either way go back and talk to your doctor x
  • Posted

Hi Evelyn, I am so sorry to hear your problem with noise.  I to have suffered with sensitivity to sound.  It started before I was on meds and was due to lack of sleep, insomnia for a approx 6 months to 1 year, the more I did not sleep the worse my anxiety got.  I was given mirtazapine and this gave me instant relief from the sensitivity to sound, literally within 2-3 days. I know how you are feeling, I found it unbearable, could not even sit and watch tv without it almost being painful.  Maybe you should go back to docs and explain your side effects.  I have found mirtazapine has helped me alot although I have tried to come off a couple of times and the sensititvity to sound comes back again and worse than it was before I started any meds.  I truly felt like my life was over with the noise thing, so at least mirtazapine helps me function and enjoy life again.  I am going to try come off again at some point and try sertraline, but am worried about the return of the noise.  I am only want to try something different as mirtazapine can make you quite tired, and gain a few pounds and its the only med I have ever tried.  But in terms if the noise thing it really did work almost instantly and is a good med.  Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi everything you have said in your post was the same ad I was. It took me about 8 weeks for the side effects chill out, so believe me your not alone.
  • Posted

whilst i appreciate that this topic is old, i wanted to add my experience for any new visitors.

i was on sertraline 50 for w month and had a couple of usual side effects. month 2 i was upped to 100 . from month 3 onwards (its month 5 now) i am extremely sensitive to rapid loud noise. when the dog barks for the postman, i get like an electric shock throughout my body. not nice but it only happens a couple of times per day

• Edited

Hi Evelyn,

Thank you for sharing your story!

Was it the sertraline?

I have increased my dose from 50mg to 100mg for 12 weeks, and have noticed:

• overwhelmed with sound (household sounds, distant traffic, lawnmowers, loud sounds)
    • overwhelmed with light (e.g looking out over a bright sunny landscape for 2mins)
    • overwhelmed with conversation ('too much to process')
    • sphere of tenseness 5cm in front of my chest.

abc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.