Septated Cyst during Pregnancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am new here, and I am need any and all advice I can get.

I am 6 weeks pregnant, this weekend i was having some pretty bad cramping, so I decided to go to the Emergency room.  There we found out that baby is fine, but that I have a large septated ovarian cyst (at least 60 mm).  the ultrasound readings actually say it is "likely a neoplasm" (which from a quick google search does NOT sound good).  When I finally got ahold of my OBGYN (i went to a different, closer hopsital for the ER) she barely even let me tell her what the ultrasound said, i basically just got to "they found a cyst" and she cut me off and said "well there is nothing we can really do about it while you are pregnant"... she did set up an ultrasound in SIX weeks, to see if it grows or not.

I am just wondering if this is a normal plan for people? I have been considering changing my primary care already, so i cant tell if my unhappiness with this plan is because its a bad plan, or because i am just not a fan of her to start with.  

I mean if there is even a 1/100 chance that it is a tumor rather than a cyst, id like to have it removed. plus i am in a bit of pain (maybe more along the lines of " strong discomfort" but it still stinks, and she wont even see me)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try not too worry they call all new growths neoplasms sometimes depends who is writing the report.they can be benign too.i had a septated thick walled cyst and it turned out to be an endometrioma.but for your peace of mind can you speak to your gp and get advice from him ? Xx
  • Posted

I think it's just another word for ovarian cyst. Usually benign, very small percentage malignant. You can look it up on this website. Type ovarian neoplasm in box at top right of this page where it says 'Search Patient'. Plenty of info there.
  • Posted

Hi so a little background of myself. I am 21 years old with 9 cm mass located inside my left ovary and I am scheduled to remove it on the 9th. After reading your post I think you should;

1) get a second opinion just because second eye is always good.

2) if it is an ovarian cyst, they usually go away on its own but some doesn't so that is why they are monitoring it for 6 weeks. I monitored mine and it grew from 5-9cm 

3) if it doesn't go away on its own and is still giving you problems you would have to remove it via surgery. I know you are pregnant which will defintely cause you some problems in regards to pain but there is not a safe option (with my knowledge) to treat it without interfering with your pregnancy. You might have to wait until your baby is born to start treating your cyst via options such as surgery, hormone shots treatment to reduce the mass ( pricy$$$, side effects that alter your moods; depression) or progesterone pills to stop your ovaries from ovulating. 

• Posted

I would definately keep monitoring it and maybe do a blood test to see if your CA125 markers are elevated which can check to see if its cancerous or not but most likely if you have endometriosis then it is a chronic illness for life. Not trying to scare you or anything but there is ways to monitor it and keep it under control through nutrition. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.