septic Arthritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter was diagnosed with septic arthritis when she was only 12 days old . Emergency surgery was done followed with IV antibiotic course for 28 days and oral antibiotic for next 39 days. Now she is 4 month . Everything appears normal till now. We are regularly following with orthopedic. He told us that only future growth will tell how much or no damage occurred. Did anyone faced this situation. It would be really helpful if anyone share their experiences.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had septic arthritis from the age of 11. I am a lot older now and medicine as changed a lot and things were done very differently then. My experiences would not be very helpful to you. I am sure that in the modern world of medicine your daughter will have a good chance of recovery and hopefully no lasting damage. I wish the best for her recovery. 
    • Posted

Do you still feel pain in the joint?? It would be really helpful if u can share some of your experience regarding this.
    • Posted

I am 60 now and my septic arthritis was caused from an injury, and many years ago it was not known how to treat it so i had needless operations. What happened in my experiences would not reflect the way things are done today, which is why i don't want you to compare or be influenced by my experiences. I did eventually have Osteo arthritis develped in this joint and needed knee replacement, but again many years later. I think you should look at how septic arthritis is treated today and be guided by modern treatments that have a better rate of recovery. Your daughter is very young and maybe she will fully recover from this diagnosis. 

• Posted

I don't know anything about your daughter's condition, although as Elizabeth says it sounds like you are in good hands.  I do however have a comment regarding the antibiotics.  It's very important to try to resore her microbial balance as soon and as effectively as possible .  It's now becoming more and more accepted in mainstream medicine that the microbiota of our body plays a crucial part in our health and even our mental health.  This is always at risk when we have to use antibiotics, so restoring that balance will be a key part of her recovery and helpful in maintaining health for her whole life.  I don't quite know how one helps an infant with this - you can hardly start feeding the poor little thing sauerkraut and its kin - but perhaps an informed doctor or dietitian, will be able to give you some advice.  For future reference, I've learned that kefir has far more helpful bacteria than yoghurt.

I hope your little girl continues to improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.