Septoplasty - 4th day post op...

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Monday evening around 7-8pm, I had a septoplasty performed on my nose due my deviated septum.

The consultant described my setum as S shaped - 70% blocked in my left nostril and 30% blocked in my right nostril.

The operation was a success for what I was told and due to the limited bleeding, I was given no packing.

To be honest in the last 3 days, there has been no real pain from my nose apart from a feeling of pressure.

The main areas of discomfort are my teeth - Upeer front and molars.

The consultant has advised this is normal...

The main concern I have is that since the operation, I have been able to breath from my right nostril a few times but my left has remain blocked apart from one occsasion, where my right nostril became blocked in stead.

Is this normal?

My left nostril still has some scabs within it but my right seems like it is clear...

My worry is that when sleeping I may have put pressure on my nose and therefore cause the septum to become deviated again

Is there any way of knowing if all is ok?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Sorry you had to have surgery! I just went through it myself with a posterior noosebleed that was pretty bad. I had to stay overnight in the hospital and had disintergrating packing put in. I was told I have a very bad deviated septum also and if I need surgery again they will have to break my nose first since they couldnt get to my 4th hole.I am 3 weeks out and still recovering.

My experience was: Extreme tooth pain, inability to breathe through my nose for days which resulted in a sensation where I fely I would choke or suffocate because I was so dry it felt I couldn't swallow. Also searing eye and jaw pain and was told this was normal.

After 4 days the headaches started and were so bad it was excruciating to tuen my head, stand or walk. My dr sent me to the emergency room where I needed IV pain meds and my CT scan showed a major infection. Stronger antibiotics!

3 weeks later I still have pains in head jaw teeth along with stabbing pains. Gonna give it more time. As for hurting your septum again I am totally guessing probably not or they would have splint it. 

Please remeber even though you don;t see a scar or stitches, you had major surgery! REST REST REST ! Don't lift anything more than 10lbs and if you feel something is not right ...go back to the Dr!

WIshing you a fast recovery!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Chris I hope your feeling better soon, I too have a deviated septum and suffer from allergies that have caused me a lot of distress this last 7/8 years, recently I had a pulsating in my left year and after going to my gp and getting ear drops and nasal sprays I was referred to the ent doc , I got an MRI on my neck which came back clear nothing showed up causing any ear problems although something did show up in my nasal symmetry so I'm going now for a biopsy in two weeks time I'm very worried as consultant didn't say much I'm anxiety is threw the roof 😳

• Posted

Hello Maggs, does it feel like you can hear and feel your heartbeat through your ear? Mine does and i read it could be turbulent blood flow. I know after my posterial nose surgery I had so much blood it went into my ear canals. Gonna ge tit checked but wondering if this was similar to you.

I hope you and Chris both get the answers you are looking for and please keep me updatedsmile

• Posted

Hi tj thanks for the reply yes it does sound like my hearts beating in my ear doc said it was tinnitus and that the nerve endings in my ear are down I think that means slight hearing loss she said it happens as we get order im 48, I'm more concerned now about behind my nose she did an endoscopy although it was uncomfortable it wasn't painful so I'm hoping it's only a polyp anc nothing serious it will be 3 weeks from I saw her till I get my biopsy it's a long time when your consently worrying and fretting

• Posted

3 weeks, oh! That is a long time! I hope all your waiting turns out to be for nothingsmile I am 48 also and it is nice to have someone to talk about this with. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep me updated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.