Serious bowel problems, can anyone help?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 24 year old female and have been suffering from severe bowel problems for about 7 months now. If I can go back a little: June 2015 I was diagnosed with a condition that subsequently left me unable to pass water on my own. At the start they fitted me with an indwelling catheter and I had this for about 7 months until learning how to self catheterise. During this time period however, I had constant kidney infections due to this foreign body meaning I was on antibiotics quite a lot. I'd probably say that I was on them continuously for 4 months. September came and I came down with awful sickness and diarrhoea, along with blood and mucous in my stool, I'd have up to 15-20 bouts a day. I couldn't sleep or eat. I went to the doctors and they advised that I had a bug and not to worry, no tests were done and I was sent home. This lasted for 7 weeks until someone done a stool sample at the hospital and it came back positive for cdiff. My bowel was pretty badly inflamed but no surgery was advised. I was put on drips of potassium, H2O and vancomycin for 2 weeks then sent home once I was well enough. However I relapsed again in January, but they were pretty quick to act due to my history, I was put on flagyl for a further 2 weeks and my fever disappeared. This now brings us to my present symptoms, ever since the first diagnosis of cdiff, I have had 5-7 bouts of diarrhoea every day, terrible stomach ache, dizziness when moving my eyes side to side and continuous weight loss. My symptoms don't go away, I've done a food diary for 3 months, noting everything down, it doesn't matter what I eat (in my opinion). It wakes me up during the night, along with chills and sweating throughout the day. I have no idea what to do? Nothing is relieving me of these symptoms :-( after I eat, I can feel a dragging like feeling around my tummy, as if I can feel things move through my digestive system.

Do you think I could have developed some kind of bowel problem due to the cdiff? I know IBS is common after this but I didn't think blood and mucous in the stool after all this time would point to this diagnosis?

Do you think the natural flora in my gut is still unbalanced hence the ongoing symptoms? Maybe in a year's time for example things should have balanced themselves out again and symptoms should dissappear?

Has anyone else had cdiff and experienced the problems I'm having? Have you recovered completely? If so how long did that take? We're you subsequently diagnosed with a condition due to cdiff? What investigations did your Dr send you for?

Sorry for the really long post I just wanted to get as much detail out there - any advice you have will be appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.