SERIOUS EYE PROBLEM with screens beit computer or phone , light sensitivity with fluoroscent lamps

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am college student age 22 ,doing btech from Nitte Meennakshi Bangalore(INDIA) CSE , I am having serious problem with my eyes when I start to look at screen but I don't have any problem with reading books.I am also facing light sensitivity issue with tubelight(glare) . When I see the screen for 5 mins and after that my eyes easily get very tired and I feel that my temporal muscles are very stretched and strained.If I stare at screen for more than 15-20 mins a time comes when my temporal muscles , muscles just above my forehead, muscles just above my neckget very tired and stretched and I am not able to focus on anything(like reading a book) an I feel like I can't think anymore Now to get relieved from this state I have to rest on bed, and do continuous forced yawning till the muscles around around my eyes and muscles which I mentioned earlier get relaxed only then I could sleep and do other activities. My yawning is not natural and I can feel heat (hot air) coming from my mouth whenever I stare at screen to get back to normal.I can easily read books for 8-9 hours but whenever I see any screen beit of computer,TV or mobile phone I can't tolerate. In my case on looking at screen for long time my eyes not that much but my muscles which I mentioned get very hard and stiff and to sleep in night or read something like for 1 hour I can read only 1 page of book.Also get I have seen that when I go outside for walk and when I do forced yawn my vision gets improved(I am myopic) and there is some stiffness over my forehead muscles which get relaxed and I can easily focus on anything .When I increase my time of screening for very long like 1 hour then my muscles get stiff ,I have to do forced yawn ,go outside and try to sleep and for 3-4 days I can't sleep ,my body doesn't get rest(very less) due to which I have very low energy level , such that even if I try to shout the person sitting next to me could only hear or sometimes not. What should I do now ? Drops dont work, tried vision therapy , don't have convergence insufficiency.(Dry eyes,red eyes,stiffness on forehead, mind not working are some common symptoms) PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!! I quit on life.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think your last sentence is the clue to what is going on. For a start I assume you have seen an optician/optometrist for advice. Just to make sure you dont need new glasses. Some folks find a special pair of glasses for screenwork is what they need.

However you mention dry red eyes which makes me think you are doing far too much screen work. With the advent of computers this sort of condition is becoming almost a pandemic. For a start, try to cut down on your screenwork and when you are using a screen, try to have breaks every 30 minutes or so, where you get up, move away from the screen and rapidly blink. We dont blink enough during screen time and as a result the eyes are not being massaged with the natural oils from the tiny glands in the eyelids. as a result of this, the glands produce less and less oil and we develop dry eyes.....this is what I think you getting into. Strangely enough this doesnt happen as much with reading books...because we tend to blink more. Buy some eye drops from the chemist/pharmacy called Hypromellose, sometimes called artificial tears. Use a drop in each eye as soon as you feel any twinge, and at least 4 times per day and before bed,. this should help. You may want to investigate Meibomian glands and Dry eye Syndrome. Also Blepharitis.

• Posted

Forgot to mention that the sensitivity to light is also a symptom of the start of Dry Eye Syndrome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.