Serious knee pain, seen doctors and had scans but nothing has shown up.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good afternoon, I thought I would take my time to start trying to find answers myself as seeing doctors hasn't done anything.

Two years ago I was swimming, hadn't been in a couple of months doing nothing intense just normal laps when suddenly I felt something buckle in my knee, I felt a lot of pressure and when I went to get out of the pool using my right leg to climb up the ladder I couldn't do it, it felt like I had completely lost all my strength in my knee. A couple of weeks after the incident the pain was still very intense, feels like pressure and it worsens when I walk and at it's absolute worst when climbing up and down stairs.

I decided to see a doctor who felt around the area and said there is nothing abnormal about it. So I pushed further and so far I've had an X-Ray and an MRI scan on my right knee and nothing has shown up what so ever and I'm rather concerned about it. The pain also gets a lot worse when I'm sitting in one position for too long so travelling is very hard especially in a car or plane that doesn't have enough leg room so I can stretch it out.

I've been given various pain medication that doesn't even touch it now, there is nothing that soothes the pain unless I use marijuana which I rarely get to use being in the UK it's very hard to buy. I've been on various CBD's too such as vaping oil, oral tablets and the drops.

I've always been physically active but since two years have passed I've gained a bit of weight because I can no longer run or hike like I used to and it's taking its toll on me mentally now especially with the doctors being clueless as to what it actually is.

The knee feels like theres a lot of pressure built up inside it, it begins to hurt so much I sometimes feel light headed and some days I can barely walk, it comes and goes which is odd. I'd say I have about 2 days a month where it goes completely, but steps are still very hard.

I was wondering if theres anybody who has had this or knows of this who could lend me some help? I'd very much appreciate it.

If you need more details I'll be happy to try and describe it further.

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you could say that's what happened to me. only I was climbing into the van at work for lunch when I heard a loud pop followed by a crack. I was off work for 6 weeks. scans, X-ray's and special as lists could not work out what it was. when I did go to my doctor he told me that my kneecap had dislodged just for a second then went back on. nothing showed up on the scans or X-ray's but the doctor told me that it was my kneecap. 9 years later and 2 new knees that's how mine all started

• Posted

Could it be patella femoral pain syndrome! That's aggravated by walking, climbing up & down stairs and sitting for any length of time. Google it to see if the symptoms fit. Good luck.

• Posted

That should be a ? not !

• Posted

Fennwulf,

On February 19, 2018, I had a total knee replacement. In February 2019 I started having severe pain in the same knee and experienced the same symptoms that you are having. I went back to my ortho surgeon and he did numerous X-rays and a full body scan MRI. Absolutely nothing showed up. By then I was beginning to think that it was all in my head. Of course, I had several shots in my knee and that didn't help. In June he did 2 surgeries. Both were ablasions requiring a very large incision. He burned all the nerves on the right side of my knee. By this time, I was ready to give up. The pain was unbearable. In August he took out last years new knee and replaced. OMG, It was horrible. I couldn't do anything for over 2 months. The doctor told me that he was stunned when he cut my knee open, as it was a mess inside. Nothing abnormal ever showed up on scans. I would not have a clue as to what might be causing your situation. would you be able to get a second opinion? I tried to get another opinion and every doctor's office that I called refused to see me. They said that I was a liability. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and what the outcome is. Best wishes for a resolution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.