Serious Pain 3 Months After Anterior THR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I’m a 63 year old male with avascular necrosis bilaterally.  With left hip being the worst I had a total hip replacement done 12 weeks ago today.

My pain levels seemed normal until about 5 days ago when pain increased in intensity and appeared in several locations, worsening daily. Today pain is worst I’ve had at any time since the surgery.

I’m experiencing most severe pain in buttock to side of hip in the area of the hip socket.  There is occasional pain I’ve never felt before in my back and groin though not nearly as severe as around the hip socket area.

It’s a stinging and burning pain with qolts of sharp, brief stabbing pains as if poked with an ice pick or sharp needle. These cause me to jolt in pain but they go as quickly as they come but they come frequently.

There is constant burning pain at left side of hip from area of the hip socket down half way to my knee where I also feel a milder tingling, sticking pain.

Ive never experienced so many different kinds of pain at once.

A week ago i was doing well, off the cane and pain was mild to occasionally moderate and then only briefly.  Now it’s constant and in the range of 4 to 7 on the 10 scale with quick spikes to 8+ every few minutes, day and night.

Im taking ibuprofen 800 twice a day that helps slightly. I don’t like taking pain meds. They dont fix the cause, just prevent me from feeling it.  I’m hoping someone might have a clue as to what’s going on?  And I’m hoping this isn’t serious or prolonged, but it is a lot of pain I was not expecting.

I’ve done nothing to injure the hip, no falls, no running or jumping or anything other than walking around normally.

They’re getting me in to see the surgeon’s PA tomorrow, actually, in 12 hrs from now as I write this lying here In pain...looks like another sleepless night. Quality of life in this condition is poor.

Thanks for reading all the way through.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds like you have infection I had same and thats what it was got pic line in and on antibiotics for 8 weeks that time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.