Serious pain 9 weeks post op

Posted , 3 users are following.

I never had problem like this with my right TKR.  My left knee is still twice the size of my right and I could fry an egg on it at night.  I get lightning, stabbing pains out of the blue on the outside and (thanks to Google) I think the sweet spot is somewhere on my lateral gastrocnemius tendon.  My leg extension is still really poor, nowhere near flat, and I can still only do about 90 degrees at best.  Saw the surgeon's clinician two weeks ago and she thought all was ok but fixed for me to see the organ grinder early November.  I'm thinking of contacting him for a private consultation as I can't deal with this much longer and I'm beginning to worry about my employers' taking a dim view of the prolonged absence, particularly as I was back after 6 weeks last time.  I thought it strange not to be given ibuprofen either in hospital or to take home.  That at least has had some positive effect.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you in UK?

Yes, surprising about the black of anti inflammatories...

Are you still icing and elevating a lot?

High elevation...like, vertical against the wall worth doing.

Are you seeing a physio at all? Might be a plan initially?

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

Yes.  Done on the NHS.  I’m icing at night and trying to exercise through the pain more than one a day.  Also private Physio once a week.  It’s just not happening for me at the moment.

D

• Posted

My swelling reduced most around 10 to 12 weeks..and as Chico says, it is not uncommon. Pain killers needed until 3 months too is what royal college is surgeons says. See GP if worried.... maybe pain needs more management. Also rule out DVT. Sorry to mention, not to worry but may be reassuring for you if you are starting to feel anxious. Hope things improve soon!
  • Posted

RX ibuprofen is usually dispensed as 800 mg TID.  Talk to your pharmacist about how to take OTC (200 mg) ibuprofen to give you a maximum result.

There are tons of people on the Forum who had each knee done at different times with many reporting dissimilar experiences (pro and con) between their knees.  Very few had the same thing happen both times.  The lesson is that you cannot compare the second to the first...it can, and obviously is, completely different.  Consider putting that comparison out of your head and just deal with the present.  

Given that, it's not unusual to hear people talk about swelling, pain, lack of bend, etc. at 9 weeks.  For almost all of us, that's still pretty early.  Better meds will help as will Voltaren Gel (RX in the US), the second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Works in about 15 minutes.  Use it during the day but especially at bedtime.  Remember to ice and elevate...that will help a lot.  Look into a Cryo Cuff for portable, continuous icing.  Doing your home heel-slide exercises and squats plus PT will get you the ROM you want...just takes time and work.

Let us know how you do...

• Posted

Thanks for the great inputs.  I’m buying into the idea that my expectations have been unduly ambitious and that I cannot compare my first op with the latest.  Thanks for that.  I take the tip I should work my pharmacist on the question of ibuprofen and also if it’s ok to do a gel at same time.  Had to resort to a dose of morphine in the very early hours last night but I am 100% confident about dvt (famous last words!).  I gave up on the cuff and now relying on frozen gell bags.  Still getting searing pains around the same tendon.  Turns out that the surgeon is maxed out till second week in November which is one week after I’m booked to see him on NHS!  
    • Posted

Expectation is the #1 thing that gets people into trouble...and it's all in our heads.  Time and patience.  C'mon...you're a veteran of this!  Focus and kick a$$...

PS: Have your pharmacist check for interactions of Voltaren and other meds you take.  It's very rare but there are a few.

• Posted

Ah good... didn't want to worry you, but no doubt you have gone through the check list of symptoms. Always a consideration.

Morphine is rather nice!

Wow, they are busy. These surgeon chopping knees! 😀😂😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.