Serious side effects and or withdrawals after just one day?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was prescribed Gabapentin - 300mg 3x daily for chronic back pain. I picked up my prescription around 2pm and took the first dose and then about 7-8 hours later before bed I took my second dose. I started to feel very odd to say the least. I started to feel anxious and a bit of paranoia and no relief from the back pain what-so-ever. I woke up the next morning feeling strange still, ate a small breakfast and I wanted to do my due diligence so I took a 3rd dose. Just hours later I started to experience effects I've never felt before in my life. I felt as if I was so disassociated , I was on another planet. I've never had a history of anxiety and that was through the roof. I was forgetting things that I had done or that had happened just minutes/hours prior and my heart rate was over 160bpm. I was at work while all this was going on and my boss could see by looking at me that I was not okay. He wanted me to go home but I did not feel able to drive. I laid down for about 2 hours, while the entire time I could feel my heart beating out of my chest and even resting my BPM did not go down. I made it home and things did not get any better. My chest felt like it was caving in from the anxiousness and paranoia and I would have some dark thoughts cross my mind. I knew at the time that this medicine was causing these things so I was able to keep it together and not panic at the depression or thoughts but it was something that I had never experienced before in my life. I had to listen to my body and did not take and have not taken another dose since that 3rd one.

For about 15 days after, I had what I'd call crippling anxiety, my chest would feel like it was caving in, shortness of breath, mind racing, unable to sleep, mood swings, more paranoia and still a feeling of disassociation.

It's been exactly a month now since that first and only day of taking Gabapentin and some of these effects have still not fully gone away. They aren't there 24/7, besides maybe the tight chest and shortness of breath, but the anxiousness and mood swings come and go a few times a day. It's almost more irritating now knowing that Gabapentin is what has caused this because I had no feelings/symptoms of these before, and wondering when I'm going to feel 100% back to normal again.

Has anyone experienced or know anyone who has experienced these things after just 1 day of the recommended dose?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.