Serious withdrawl

Posted , 10 users are following.

If I'm drinking 2-3 bottles of wine about 2-3 nights a week with a couple of days break in between each one will I go through alcohol withdrawl symptoms? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky, have you looked into The Sinclair Method for alcohol use disorder.  It's about a medication called Naltrexone which is taken one before drinking, and it blocks the endorphin rush from reaching your pleasure receptors when you have a drink, and after a while,( 3 to 10 months approx),  you find you are not craving and desperate for more more more etc.  It's a gradual disinterest in excessive drinking. 

• Posted

Hi faith yes I've read about the Sinclair method.  I'm Not looking to stop altogether I want to be able to go a week or 2 weeks without a drink. But my worry is withdrawl symptoms but I've read that  if you have a few drink free days per week you will not get  withdrawl symptoms. 

• Posted

Hi Vicky..it all depends on your body....you say you go a few days...so maybe you will have slight withdrawals.

But essentially you are NOT having "severe" withdrawals because you do have a few free days.

I think it sounds ok to try to go for 2 weeks...if you start having withdrawals that are really bad...than you just don't go 2 weeks....

I really think if you can make it the first week without bad withdrawals..the 2nd week will be a piece of cake...

Its going to be the first week that you feel withdrawal...and if they are really bad...can you get a benzo from a Dr?

• Posted

That's the whole thing about the Sinclair Method.. you drink as normal, and automatically over time you just become not as 'hounded' by drinking.  You can still drink,  ...  for example, I still drink, but I am happy having a few drinks now instead of one or two bottles. It gives you a choice in other words.  I was so sick of buying a bottle, with full intention of having half a bottle of wine...to find myself going out in a taxi for a second bottle on many occasions.  That has all stopped now, I have a few drinks, and feel quiet content to stop at that.

• Posted

great reply Faith! Good advice for certain. You must be pleased with yourself. Robin
    • Posted

Yes I agree with Robin, great reply. My Husband when he was drinking heavily would have 3 dry days a week. On drinking days he would consume 30+units. His detox nurse said that over time his neuro pathways had been damaged, she said the pattern was called kindling. It took about 2 years for the dts to really take hold followed by life threatening seizures. He tried so many times to abstain, went to AA was sober for 2 years. Started TSM in April this year and hasn't looked back

Kind Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Life is alot less stressful without alcohol consuming so much time that is for sure. smile  I have always complied with how The Sinclair Method is used, i.e. all I do is take a Naltrexone one hour prior to my first drink of the evening.  If anyone is taking Nalmefene, I do believe the wait time is 2 hours. But that is it... simple. 
    • Posted

So glad to hear your husband had success with TSM (The Sinclair Method), it truly is amazing and works for 80% approx of the people who give it a go. 
    • Posted

I meant to say, it works for approx 80% of the people who go onto the Sinclair Method... that can mean they have reached their goal of either being abstinent (their choice) or drinking in safe levels or however they wish to drink.  Some people may be happy having a few drinks a week, or a few drinks a month.  Some may like a couple of drinks twice a week.  The great thing is, you have control, not the alcohol. Do you see a big difference in your husband JulieAnne?
    • Posted

Hi faith. Yes I do see a big difference in my husband. He has been close to death with this dreadful disease. He looks so much better now, no more binge drinking, no more dts, no more awful seizures. I dont know what damage he has done to his internal organs because he refuses to go to his gp. I think no news is good news with him. No amount of nagging from me will budge him, so its pointless trying 😍 I'm just very happy to have my Husband back

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Faith and JulieAnne both have some good replies and the situation with drinking is under much better control which is great. Seems to me that you are looking forward to a Merry Xmas! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.