Seroma Query

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I have had to endure 2 horrendous post op Seroma complications on last 2 surgeries. 5 months on I am still suffering with a collection of fluid (I think) above the incision accompanied by awful pain and swelling of the whole left side the lower abdomen.

Has anybody else suffered from a Seroma and if so how long has it taken to absorb?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of the complications you are having. I still have a seroma after my abdominal (incisional) open hernia repair... that was in June of last year. I still have pain and swelling in the area, but it is nowhere near the size that it was. I had to get my seroma drained once, sometimes even twice a week....that went on for about 4 months. One of the times I had it drained, my surgeon said he had never drained that much at one to e...it measured almost 2 liters!

If you are in a lot of pain with swelling, call your doctor, as he will want to drain it. If there is a significant collection of fluid, then your body may not absorb it and it could lead to an infection....You don't want that.

Feel better soon!

• Posted

Seromas can be pretty tricky with open mesh procedures, which can end up with infection. Have you thought about having your mesh removed? There is a procedure that can be performed that uses your bodies own muscle for the repair. You may want to contact Dr. Robert Tomas...best thing I ever did was have my mesh removed. Dr. Robert's staff is amazing and are all very helpful. Just Google his name or call his office...239.243.8222. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I have an incisional hernia left of navel and had an incisional hernia repaired by another non mesh surgeon in July 2015 at the bikini line. I had a huge seroma that was not treated effectively. I now have a deformed area above the bikini line, maybe a pocket formed called a pseudo bursa or scar tissue. I am hoping that I can have Dr Tomas fix this too. They are very limiting to me. Hard to even turn my torso with driving to change lanes. I have abdominal spasms near newer hernia and old repair of first one. Feels like pinching too. Digestion messed up, How was your anesthesia and post op pain? I will be traveling from another state. I am hoping I will not develop another seroma, being out of state, not many drs locally here will follow some other drs. post op patient. I am so anxious about finding a good hernia surgeon, The first one was not what I would recommend to anyone. In my  nursing opinion he created such a huge surgical field for a small hernia way below navel, he dissected my abdomen al the way to my navel to "look around" thus too much trauma to tissues and my entire abdomen swelled so badly, was just awful! Only offered general anesthesia and I have a very hard time with that....awful reaction. Thanks for any input you have to offer. I am also a pelvic mesh survivor (successfully removed), now with incisional hernias from repair surgeries. Unbelievable. 

• Posted

Hi Susan 

Just read your post with great interest and I’m wondering if you’re able to tell me any further symptoms etc in regards the the 

pseudo bursa. I had my second Seroma post groin hernia mesh removal in Aug and haven’t been right since. I’ve had excruciating pain, a swelling that feels like a sac of fluid and a huge bulge that protrudes. I’ve avoided going to a&e as I have spent a lot of time there and In hospital but the pain is now so bad I’m struggling to walk some days.

I look forward to reading your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.