Seroquel dreams and nightmares.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a navy veteran with ptsd and severe insomnia. it was a dream at first. it was the only medication that would get me to fall asleep. I take 900 mg at bedtime and within 30 minutes I turn into a zombie so I have a short window to get to bed because I've woken up in the craziest places you can imagine without k knowing how I got there. seroquel is prescribed by the VA for thousands of veterans who have sleep and ptsd issues. I also take buprenorphine for an old injury. however for some reason I wanted to get off the buprenorphine and when I did I would get severe restlessness. sometimes just my legs and even worse my whole body. is there another medication that I could take for the restlessness because it is the worst feeling in the world and when it starts it lasts for minimum 7 hours. the drug is over prescribed by the VA and it wasn't created for sleep. I don't understand why the drug companies make a drug that is specifically for ptsd and insomnia. I take 900 mg at bedtime and it works but the side effects can be catastrophic. I sometimes have to take an extra dose at bedtime 1200mg and as long as I take the buprenorphine I'm fine but once In a while I will get the restlessness feeling but that only happens maybe once every couple of months. some of the other side effects really scare me and I just don't know what to do because If I can't sleep I would go insane.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, when i was prescribed to Seroquel (quetiapine) for my insomnia and anxiety (GAD) together with Sertraline, it was explained to me that for treatment of my insomnia, quetiapine have to be given in doses less than 100mg. If it is given in higher dose than that then it is used for treatment of different mental problems like schizophrenia or bipolar disorders. The vivid dreams and nightmares are one of the many side effects, i remember in one of my dreams i talked to dolphins and they talked back to me, i was locked in submarine falling down... crazy vivid like dreams. Wake up sweaty, wet, horrible, panic attacks and anxiety after that and i stayed up after that. Side effects like facial twitching and involuntary hand movements, blurry vision, higher heart rate is a few of many side effects. Best things to do is to talk to your doctor, psychiatrist and ask for other possibilities of other medications.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.