Seroquel - zombie

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help since starting this med I've been like a zombie all day despite taking it at bedtime. Will this feeling pass?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

what dosage are you on at the moment and how long have you been taking it.

i was prescribed it about 6 weeks ago as I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and I started off on 25mg at night, which will slowly increase to 200mg with me taking 100mg at night and 100mg in the morning.

at the moment I am up to 50mg at night and 25mg in the morning.

when I first started taking it, the 25mg at night immediately made me feel a bit woozy, as if I was drunk, but I slept amazingly well and felt like a zombie the next day until about lunchtime. But after a few days that starts to wear off as your body gets used to it.

at the moment I am still sleeping really well and my morning dose doesn't knock me out at all. 

I can honestly say, that apart from vivid dreams and a slightly dry mouth, I haven't experienced any other bad side effects (I was really worried about weight gain but this has not been a problem) and I haven't felt this well for years.

my mood is much more stable, I feel happy and I am sleeping well. So I hope it continues as my dosage increases.

so don't worry, the tiredness will pass after a while.

hope that helps,

Liz

• Posted

Thank you Liz I was on 100 nightly for a week it was decreased to 50 xl just can't shake it off in the day could sleep 24/7
  • Posted

Hi,

maybe you were started off on too high a dose then? My psychiatrist recommended starting off low and increasing by 25mg every fortnight so that it didn't knock me out completely and that my body could build up a tolerance to it.

also I am not on the slow release tablets, just the normal ones, so maybe the slow release pills are exacerbating the tiredness so that it lasts all day?

maybe you could speak to your doctor again?

liz

• Posted

I was on 100 non xl and the zombie effect was there so I was switched to xl. Will discuss with them again. I'm

Due back to work Monday start very early in the morning so worried I won't be able to get up.

• Posted

Hi Cleora3

I have been on Seroquel XR since last April/May it took a month for the Seroquel to stop the zombie feeling the next day.

I hope you recover from the zombieness soon Cleora3smile

• Posted

I felt that way when I first started on the drug. I found the worst sedative effects passed within a few days (the 1st 24 hours the worst) and after about a month or so I didn't really feel sedated by it anymore.

Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hi 

Sorry if this is  not the answer you are looking for but for me the zombie-like feeling never passed, it eased a bit and i got used to feeling like that but it never went away completely. I did not trust that i could not drive safely anymore for instance. Although it did help me when i was in a very bad place (suicidal), as Venlafaxine alone was not effective and it did help me sleep like a baby.

As i said i am sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but i am just being truthful with my experience of it.

I am not bipolar or schizophrenic, i suffer with severe depression so it was ok for me to seek alternative meds that thankfully have helped my moods and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.