Serotonin

Posted , 5 users are following.

We are always told the us depressed people have low serotonin levels and that why we are depressed. Antidepressants are supposed to raise serotonin but they never did anything for me that's for sure I tryed them for 32 years but just got more ill. I don't take them anymore and never will to be honest, so anyway according to the doctors raising our serotonin levels is the magic cure, well I have been doing everything I possibly can to do this by taking 5htp eating loads of foods that raise serotonin like bananas for example and the result is nothing. Also exercise is supposed to help as it get the endorphins going which is the happy hormone, well I have been going to the gym and swimming for weeks on end and all that happened is that I feel worse than ever. This serotonin thing is only a theory and not fact as there is no concrete proof of this as it impossible to measure serotonin levels in an alive human being. Personally I think this low serotonin theory is rubbish. I have started to wonder if we are not suffering from anything and that we are like this because that's just the way we naturally are just the same as happy people are happy because that's just the way they naturally are. You don't see them going to the docs and telling doc I think I'm suffering from happyness and I need some pills to stop me feeling like this

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dr Mike's new discovery:

Happiness could be a major health problem... anyone feeling too happy are to see their GP as soon as possible!!

• Posted

Lol, I'm just fed up as I try so hard and just sick of feeling like this. Ps the going to the docs for feeling happy was just my way of trying to lighten the mood a bit. Hope your feeling better than me, I suppose we just have to keep struggling on and hope for the best
    • Posted

Hey Doc, no worries I knew you were trying to lighten the mood with your anecdote.

If we aren't content with life happiness is hard to achive, I mean we can laugh at something but that doesn't make us truly happy! It's a frame of mind..... the secret is finding that frame of mind.

• Posted

Yes that's very true. It's strange because as bad as I suffer I still have a sense of humour, maybe that's what keeps me going I'm not sure
    • Posted

But not just a frame of mind, also our circumstances can either pull us down or make us happy and how we view our future can make a big difference to the way we feel.
    • Posted

Yeah I couldn't agree more your totally right about that
  • Posted

Hi Michael.  I found 5HTP did not make me feel better, it made me feel worse.  The best supplement that helps me, is the cheapest and allpharmacies sell them.  The tablets with passion flower, valerian and hops.  But we are all different.  St John's wort did not make me feel any different either.

Anti depressants helped me a lot in the acute stages of depression, but like you, was on them a very long time. 

Walking and seeing trees and the sky and all of natures free gifts does help me.  I am easily pleased.  I cannot exercise in gyms as have arthritis, but walking works well for me.  I don't have a car, so walk a great deal. 

I have read lkoads, like you have how drug companies want to sell anti depressants so put out the theory aboiut chemical imbalances in the brain.  But sometimes depression comes from nowhere, doesn't it?  No good questioning why we are depressed, or how it happened, it just is for a lot of people. 

We can read and read articles, like you do, and like I do.  It does not really answer anything.  But yes anti depressants do have their place, and they do helpo a lot of people.  If I had not been put on anti depressants, I would not be here now.  I would have been so low, I woiuld not have wanted to go on any longer.  We know a lot of people feel like that.  Why? 

You and I and the doctors, psychiatrists etc do not really understand depression, but we find help to allieve it where we can.,  If a doctor says a pill will help us, then we take it, as we trust them. 

Lots of doctors have depression.  So do many many people.  We want help to live a better life.

You and I are probably cynical because we have lived so long taking medication.  You are beginning to sound really bitter about all those years.  I do help you are feeling a lot bettewr now you have decided to stop anti depressants.  Yes I have stopped too, but I think there are people here that need help to get through the really dark days. 

Who is truly happy?  We live our lives as best we can don't we?  Yes it is difficult at times, but we manage. 

• Posted

Your post struck a chord with me Michael.  I took citalopram for a while - not as long as you as I developed an allergic reaction to it and had to stop.  I have to say that although it did lift my mood, it was by no means a 'cure'.  I was still a depressed person just the drugs seemed to make it possible to go through the motions and function.  Function was about all I could describe it as though, not actually happy.  I don't know how many people this is true for but I'm someone who seems to have to rely on outside influences to affect my mood. If something happens to upset me I'm down and sad and depressed and cant get out of it until something else happens to cheer me up, I never seem to be able to do that for myself or motivate myself to do something that will help, it has to happen - like an unexpected tax refund letter or getting invited out for a meal with friends (although I often then go into deep anxiety before the event worrying about silly stuff like what to wear and what time I'll have to get home from work and get ready or who I'll end up sitting next to and will I like them etc).  Worrying and fretting about stuff is my biggest downfall and the meds didnt remove that, they just seemed to numb me enough that it didnt stop me functioning.  Wasn't a comfortable existence though and although my manic highs and lows are hard to cope with at least I HAVE highs, I don't remember having too many on the meds.  I hate being a worrier, always seeing the problems in things and never the opportunity or excitement in a happy way.  I think like you michael I've come to the conclusion I'm naturally, by birth and by genetics a sad and anxious person and just dont have the natural ability to lift my own spirits and have to wait for something to do it for me.  SSRIs definitely didnt do it for me and I never managed to find out from my doctor whether there was another medication that wasn't on this 'trendy' route of altering our seratonin levels - who knows, as you quite rightly say, whether my seratonin levels needed altering at all.  I need a 'happy pill' but sadly I don't think it exists.  
    • Posted

Hi loxie

Thanks for your reply and I relate to everything you have said . Some of the meds I was on over the years just made me numb and made me not care about anything or anyone and that was dangerous because I upset a lot of people and done some crazy things that nearly landed me in prison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.