Serotonin

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies!  I’ve been doing tons of research to gear up for my next gyno appointment.  I’ve been suffering badly for over a year.  41 and too young for this s**t!  This next appointment, I am not taking no, or deal with the symptoms for an aswer! So, I am on an AD (ssri) for peri anxiety.  To “boost my serotonin” as my primary dr put it.  I know it is my hormones going haywire, but, needed to do something to get me by until I see my new gyno.   I just learned that an AD’s job is to redistribute serotonin in our brains not produce it.  Estrogen produces serotonin in a woman.  Therefore, if you are estrogen deficient an AD is not going to be optimally effective.  Eureeka!

Do you ladies know anything about this?  I think inevitably I will ask about going back on a higher dose BCP and stay on the AD.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did you try and “boost” your serotonin with aminos? And did you know that most serotonin is made in the gut. So is your gut really good? 

Just things to consider. AD ruined me. It also permanently damages  your brain and pathways. Serious s**t. 

• Posted

Hi Lou yes I knew this I'm also on AD as it stops the seratonin being reabsorbed because seratonin in the brain doesn't cross the blood barrier so all seratonin upstairs is precious, my AD has seriously helped me although initially it took a while x

• Posted

Thanks Haley,  it has definitely helped me along with this peri mess too.
  • Posted

Sounds good to me! Just don’t wait so long and I agree that you cannot accept one more no! I’m 42 and Hrt gave my life back! Ask for help and try to avoid AD! Our depression is hormonal not clinical! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.